The difference

Discussion in 'Americans and Other Western Gaijin' started by brianflynn, Dec 18, 2008.

1. brianflynn

brianflynn Post Pimp Staff Member

The difference
    Well, I hate to be the guy that says crappy stuff. This is a weird post. Two new figures from the folks at KR. Look, we spend a lot of time bashing KR, and I think for good reason (granted, there is a lot of crappy stuff coming from Japan right now as well). Also, Nicole is a nice person, and I like her. But, for once, I want to get specific, even though it will probably come up later to bite me in the ass. It is time to call things for what they are. As always, these are my opinions, and are presented not to offend, but explain. Here we go.

[​IMG]

Two releases. Frostie Beats and Kidpunk 16 (three editions). First off, I though the concept and general execution of Frostie was pretty cool. The boombox is executed pretty crappily, but the figure itself looks like fun. I am sure anyone with more hip hop knowledge than myself will have another reaction.

The Kidpunk is another story. Yeah, it is a cartoon of punk, I got that, that happens all the time in mall punk, that does not offend me more than anyone else that does it. (And boy howdy does it merchandise well with all over printed bubble cloud sweatshirts!) My offense comes from the fact that they clearly are aping bands directly, yet not paying them for it. Yeah, we aped black flag, but we gave them away to the fan club, we did not sell them. But to make a run of 500+ figures, and then take someone's records and just straight rip it? Lame. Dead Kennedy's should be pissed, not only the record cover, but the tee too. Let's face it, they should have paid the bands they were referencing a licensing fee to do it. We paid Gorilla Biscuits, we paid Balzac. We pay Toho. I guess the fundamental point of view is this: When you can get permission, why wouldn't you?

That and the fact that somehow KR is trying to pass themselves as paying homage to their punk rock heritage is ridiculous. When was that part of the KR history?

2. gatchabert

gatchabert Prototype

Name:
    Danny_Zuko
    flickr:
    gatchabert
    Instagram:
    gatchabert
    The difference
    For those of you not on the KR boards, this is the copy for both Kidpunk and Frostie:
    Kidpunk:
    We’re paying homage to our icon’s punk rock roots with 3 rad versions of Kidrobot 16: Kidpunk. We take your through the history of punk starting with the ‘77 Edition and continue on with the ‘80 Edition and ’84 Edition.

Ears pierced and Mohawks high, each 8-inch figure in this evolutionary trifecta rocks a band tee and its favorite vinyl record from that year. Get ready to mosh with them on January 8. Retails for $50 a piece.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mr. Frostie Beats
    NYC-based multimedia artists, Interspectacular, collected rain from the funky clouds over the 5 boroughs intent on making ice, but one little cube knew he could do more than keep drinks cool. After acquainting himself with the tough city streets and picking up some scratch, MC Icebox found his true calling—rocking the block with his hip-hop crew Frostie Beats. This 7-inch B-boy keeps thing cool January 8 with a boom box and microphone. Retails for $50. Only 500 worldwide!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know Kidrobot had punk-rock roots...

3. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

The difference
    I was going to wait for the release then email SST records that picture along with information on W!ldbrain and KR.

Greg Ginn likely would ignore it but frankly if I owned the rights to any of that stuff I'd sue like yesterday.

4. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    The difference
    That sucks worse than My war side 2.

5. Biff

Biff S7 Royalty

The difference
    [​IMG]

"Do you feel cheated?"

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The difference
    i'll say it for you then.. this stuff is pure shit. no explanation was necessary... my grandpa's ball sack was more punk then KR could ever be, the way it hung out the bottom of his plaid shorts when he sat outside was straight up offensive. i miss my gramps.

7. Stone

Stone Side Dealer

The difference
    This is beautiful.
    Pure poetry.
    I love you man!!

8. mz

mz Toy Prince

The difference
    Even approaching 50, Henry Rollins isn't someone I'd want to fuck with.
    [​IMG]

9. melek_taus

melek_taus Mini Boss

Name:
    Ryan
    The difference
    I'd like to see Rollins unleashed in KRSF after seeing the windows full of these "punk" toys.

10. Joe

Joe Die-Cast

The difference
    Frostie Beats is just crap.

11. kichigai

kichigai Removed by request

The difference
    bad taste & such a waste of vinyl, must have cash to burn to produce these. can't see anyone over 15 years old even taking these serious or liking them. these are pure concept explotation to cash in on what i do not know.

12. gforce

gforce Toy Prince

The difference
    I was going to blog about this when I initially saw the designs but was in two minds as I thought maybe I was being too precious about it so I'm glad someone else had that "WTF?!" reaction.

I'm all for pastiche and obvious sources...KAWS immediately springs to mind....but these are blatant and TBH not even well done.

The UK version of the punk should be interesting...with it's slightly obvious Union Jack tee I'm gonna guess it will have "London Calling" as the album sleeve :roll: (man i wish their ws a vomiting smily..)

13. KJB

KJB Comment King

The difference
    Thanks for speaking up, Mr. Flynn. To someone like me, who not only grew up with the stuff they're stealing but was a part of it as well, this is straight-up offensive, not to mention verging on plagiarism. (I wonder how they'd like it if someone made t-shirts or toys with as thinly-veiled swipes at their product and marketed them?) If I was one of the bands concerned, you bet I'd file a cease-and-desist posthaste.
    I really don't think their target market (what is it down to now - 10 to 12?) has ever experienced "punk" outside of a Hot Topic mall store. KR's punk "roots" are about as deep as a weed growing out of the sidewalk, and I'd love to hear them try to say otherwise.

14. gforce

gforce Toy Prince

The difference
    I'd be interested to know who actually designed them...usually these things have an artists name attached but there's no mention of who did the, this time around.

15. LamourSupreme

LamourSupreme Mini Boss

The difference
    I kind of like Frostie Beats but then again he's from Interspectacular so that's probably whey he's somewhat original. The execution of toy production is another story. Growing up from the birthplace of hip hop, that figure has nothing to do with hip hop. The kid punk is something that comes from the likes of Spencer Gifts. Mass produced crap from China designed by a faceless brand made quite poorly. The faceless brand has a face in this instance and knowing KR, probably designed by Sket, Maze or some intern. It's one of those things that you have to shake your head at. I'm just glad Super 7 is around to show them what's right.

16. bunnyboy

bunnyboy Side Dealer

The difference
    Yeah, obviously.

17. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    The difference
    Wow...horrendous.

Look, I don't pretend to know anything about punk culture, style, and music...so I feel a little left out when the topic comes up here. 'S all good though. I *have*, however, been a hip hop head for over 20 years now, and I can say with zero hesitation that this "Frostie Beats" is wack like naps on Kojack.

And being hop hop, I know how fucking bullshit it is to have your culture raped and commodified...so, punk heads, you have my sympathies and commiserations.

18. Zaaier

Zaaier Line of Credit

The difference
    Are they gonna release a shaved Kidpunk 'Screwdriver' homage too ?

19. cornbluth

cornbluth Line of Credit

The difference
    the sad thing is those toys it will still sell out harder and faster than KR did itself

20. silver_lining_man

silver_lining_man Mini Boss

Name:
    Josh
    Instagram:
    toyboxranger
    The difference
    agreed. wasted vinyl, even though it's pure shit quality vinyl....
    all this KR shit coming out looks extremely cheap.
    i like the lord quas piece, and maybe the Yo Gabba Gabba guys, but the rest is a never ending stream of junk!
    if KR does this 'homage' without implying respect and paying their dues in the past, has anyone that got ripped actually gone on with a lawsuit? hopefully someone does soon, otherwise this type of crap will keep happening...

21. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

The difference
    I feel like KR is essentially the Hot Topic of vinyl toys.
    Although none of their stuff is really my cup of tea, hopefully the large scale mainstream accessibility of it will act as a gateway drug of sorts to the type of toys discussed on this board.

22. silver_lining_man

silver_lining_man Mini Boss

Name:
    Josh
    Instagram:
    toyboxranger
    The difference
    honestly, that's how it kinda worked for me, but i liked (and still do, some...) Toy2R. Anyways, my interest was peaked and bought the book Full VInyl. That's where i learned about Secret Base, S7, and Gargamel...

23. mz

mz Toy Prince

The difference
    I've worked with W!ldbrain's animation folks in the past, and they're great people. Problem is, now that KR is owned by a larger corporation, bucks are going to speak even louder than designs/quality (not that I'm convinced the opposite was ever the case).

KR does do a good job as a gateway drug though. Marketing-wise, they know what they're doing. For many folks (including myself), it was our first exposure to vinyl, but now as our tastes have evolved and expanded, KR ceases being relevant.

Like how most of us have moved on from pot to coke.

24. Dean

Dean Prototype

The difference
    We know that the DK's aren't against litigation, even if most of theirs has been against Jello. This would be an interesting copyright case. In the band's favor, the pseudo-DK logo could be said to be "a derivative work." I think. If I understand correctly copyright attorneys tend to be hostile to the urban myths about changing a logo or written work by this-or-that percentage making it legal. Brian nailed it though ... it's the spirit of the thing. Without having approached the DKs for permission or license as they certainly did Albarn for the Gorillaz figures, KR essentially robs Punk for Greed. Given the consistent themes of the DK ethos, that's lame and offensive indeed.

The irony of using the anarchy symbol for profit has already been hashed out ad naseum, but nobody has copyright on that, part of the whole point. What the two cases have in common is basic disregard for authenticity. Irony is cheap and by this time, overrated.

To state the obvious, KR is more than a little late to the Punk "tribute" party in vinyl-land. How long ago did Kubrick do their Punk figures, or Jarvis, or any number of classier-than-KR outfits?

Brian your diplomacy is admirable given your position in this world, but I'm glad you spoke up.

25. Anti Social Andy

Anti Social Andy Die-Cast

The difference
    I dunno . . . hopefully the screwed up economy will start separating the wheat from the chaff. I guess a lot of collectors (myself included) have started to think harder about there purchasing habits . . . eventually manufacturers and retailers are gonna have to come up with the goods or face the consequences of releasing lame ass products!

Good post Mr F . . . although I think Nicole would definitely kick your ass if ever it came down to a deathmatch!