Handgun/Pistol Safety Classes

Discussion in 'Whatever' started by Mr. Humphreys, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

I'm considering taking some firearms safety classes, for self-defense purposes. For those who have experience handling firearms, what should I look for in selecting a competent training course(s) and a good facility? I am contemplating taking the Pistol safety classes out-lined here:

http://www.bayareafirearms.com/Pistol.asp

I hope it's ok to post this. If you can offer any help or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it, and if you are reluctant to post an answer, please feel free to send a message. Thank you!

2. eckotyper

eckotyper Post Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    well since your from the bay area im not to sure, i've heard that its extremely hard to acquire a ccw in the bay.

but look into a range that offers training on how to get a ccw, thats where your going to learn alot. i had to go through i believe 4 hours of class, and 5 hours on the range before i could apply for my ccw... everything went smooth, and i learned alot for being a first time shooter. i now can carry my pistol concealed which is good for the job...

3. ---NT---

---NT--- Prototype

What's the job, if you don't mind me asking?

4. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Name:
    RockStrongo
    I think SDCC exclusive toy guard and line security.

5. Greasebat

Greasebat Side Dealer

Do you have any experience with handguns? The course description sounds about average. Seems expensive though!

6. Robert DeCastro

Robert DeCastro Side Dealer

Name:
    Robert
    Instagram:
    AtomicMushroomToys
    Any gun ranges that provide CCW class will cover all the pistol safety you will need. Pistol craft is a perishable skill so taking the course is not enough. You will need to go to the range regularly to practice. What are you shooting with? My CCW pistol is a Kimber Ultra CDP II carried in a Fobus holster.

7. toybotstudios

toybotstudios Die-Cast

8. Stone

Stone Side Dealer

Good choice on the Kimber Robert..And yes range time is a must..My pistol is like my wallet, I feel naked without it..

9. hellopike

hellopike S7 Royalty

Name:
    Phil
    Instagram:
    Hellopike
    Then wouldn't it be more accurate to say your gun is like your clothes? ;)

10. Stone

Stone Side Dealer

I guess you could say that! ;)

11. Robert DeCastro

Robert DeCastro Side Dealer

Name:
    Robert
    Instagram:
    AtomicMushroomToys
    It's a nice piece. Feels like part of your hands when you work it. It's funny, ever since I got my CCW permit I find myself actually more prone to avoid conflicts. I remember one time coming out of a Best Buy into the parking lot, I was carrying. I had the family with me and we had a close call with a driver that almost hit us. He actually acted like we where the ones at fault getting in the way of his sweet parking spot. He was very irate and he stepped out of his car in the middle of the parking lot and was very confrontational. In response I would have normally been combative as well but instead opted to de-escalate the situation and we both went away with a handshake.

12. eckotyper

eckotyper Post Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    barely saw this, so sorry about that... a towing business. I do everything minus the towing. the side arm is meant for the days i am in the office alone, and the days I take the deposit to the drop box after hours. It seems as if it would not be necessary. However when 90% of your customers are those who are pissed off that they got their car impounded for numerous reasons... yeah you wanna be as safe as can be.

13. toybotstudios

toybotstudios Die-Cast

being from CA, i'm surprised / shocked as to how many boardmembers carry.

14. pickleloaf

pickleloaf Super Deformed

[​IMG]

15. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

Thank you everyone, for your input and advice! :razz: I practically have no experience with guns, so I'm a complete newbie at it. I don't take gun ownership lightly, and I've given the issue serious consideration. I want to make sure I know the basics of safety and handling a gun proficiently, as well as obtain ample practice with them. I think that by taking classes and renting firearms to test, it will give me a better understanding of what I'm after. I've looked into other training facilities in the Bay Area as well, and it looks like there are more options than I originally anticipated. It's nice to have some flexibility.

I'm not sure if the incidents I've experienced in the past few years were flukes, or if crime is becoming "bolder" in general. I am entirely of the mentality to avoid conflict whenever possible, but when a situation developes that puts your life/safety in question, then it's best to have some means of protecting yourself until the "proper authorities" arrive. Please do keep your suggestions coming in, as I do check back to see if there are any updates here. Thanks everyone!

16. JoeMan

JoeMan Mini Boss

flickr:
    splurrt
    Instagram:
    splurrt
    Fuck guns. Throwing knives are where it's at.

17. nefasth

nefasth Mini Boss

flickr:
    nefasth
    Instagram:
    nefasth
    I don't think I've ever knowed someone who had one :!:
    It's incomprehensible to me, here.

18. ---NT---

---NT--- Prototype

Interesting. Thanks for answering!
    I don't believe I've ever known someone who (legally) carried a gun. I've been in a couple incidents involving guns, but haven't gotten to the point where I feel I should have one to protect myself - part of that is that the incidents have decreased as I've gotten older. I think I'd be afraid to carry one as I might brandish it in a moment of anger - lord knows how many times I've wished for a minigun mounted on my motorcycle!

19. Greasebat

Greasebat Side Dealer

well...it definitely sounds like you have the right attitude. That's half the battle.

20. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    It's weird because growing up in Virginia, almost every single person I know grew up around one, had one or knew people who did. Looking at someone holding one is not so much different than seeing someone hold a knife for me. Yet i've noticed some people freeze when they see one.

Mind you Virginia is notorious for some of the loosest guns laws in the country. None the less I was 15 min from DC proper, so you can imagine what it was like the further you got out. Tickets to the gun show anybody?