Advice for sales

Discussion in 'FAQs & Announcements' started by ultrakaiju, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ultrakaiju

ultrakaiju Die-Cast Staff Member

Advice for sales
    Okay, let's face it, a large percentage of the workings on Skullbrain take place in the sales forums, and I think it never hurts to offer a refresher for some folks or new members on how they should go about things. I was recently very dissapointed in a sale from here, and after many such circumstances, just want to suggest some pointers. These are just my point of view, and feel free to add in your own two cents if you think differently.

PACKAGING
    Be sensible with how you wrap and mail an item. People are paying a lot of money for these things, but even when they are not, have some consideration. It may just be a 'toy' but obviously most people willing to shell out their hard earned money for something have some expectation towards it. Even a 5$ toy can have a lot of value to the buyer if they have hunted for it for a long time. I can't tell you the number of times I received something just thrown in an envelope. Not only is this totally unnacceptable in terms of sensible mailing practice, it is extremely uncool from someone who conceivably also values these same toys. Have some respect for the toy and the trust the buyer placed in you by paying up front. Have the decency to protect a figure from rubbing, crushing, etc. There are certain things once it is the postal hands you cannot control, but why not just account for these before, don't just shirk all responsibility because you can't be bothered.

SHIPPING
    Charge what it costs. Are you really that desperate to take a few extra bucks from everybody? I am upfront with needing international shipping, and am willing to pay whatever the amount is, but think first before charging 25$ for something that actually costs 5$ to send (yes, this really happens). You do realise that USPS prints the actual postal charge on the parcels right? And don't give me this malarky about trips to the post office, packing material, etc. We all have to suffer the same, and if it is a serious burden, factor that in to your price.

BE HONEST
    I can't stress this one enough. If your toy has damage, or the joints are loose, or you are a heavy smoker, or the paint is coming off or tacky, be up front about it. If it comes down to paying $$$ for a toy only to have it arrive in a less than optimum condition, a lot of people would rather have saved their money and waited for another chance.

REMEMBER, THIS IS ABOUT COMMUNITY
    Treat others with respect, and understand [in theory] we are all here because we are fans of the same thing. Most folks who sell stuff here have options to bring their toys elsewhere, but we want to offer them up (for less money to the seller) to fans who really appreciate them. Live by this, and it will come back to benefit you too.

These are just a few things that have been irking me, and I am putting down for the record, in case it isn't obvious. Feel free to add your own. [And I apologise for the rant nature of this if that's what it comes off as, but these are also real-world transactions here, and shouldn't just be treated as a joke either]

2. Russblue11

Russblue11 S7 Royalty

Name:
    Kevin
    Advice for sales
    Just wondering, what happened in that bad sale?

3. ultrakaiju

Advice for sales
    Don't want to turn it into a personal thing, as something similar has happened to me on numerous occasions, but basically I got a figure whose paint had turned tacky (already uncool but at least understandable) and he was just thrown into an envelope and so the paint/coating stuck to part if it, leaving a patch on the front (!) and is now basically screwing me out of the enjoyment of an amazing figure. Thankfully I am very grateful to the original artist who has offered to see what he can do to touch it up.

Really though, I am just trying to get folks to share some common practices, read it in print if that helps, and continue to enjoy SB and toy love.

Sorry guys, addendum point:

If YOU SELL SOMETHING, SEND IT
    I trust this one is self explantory, but if you lost/forgot about a toy, have the decency to come clean and refund the money. And please don't put it up for sale again, that is just lame.

4. Russblue11

Russblue11 S7 Royalty

Name:
    Kevin
    Advice for sales
    Ah, sorry to hear that. I think only one of my toys has become "tacky" so far, and when I moved I stuck it in a plastic bag and it was kind of sticking to it when I removed it, but luckily no paint came off. I agree with everything you stated.

5. DrilOne

DrilOne Comment King

flickr:
    drilone
    Instagram:
    drilone
    Advice for sales
    I am sorry but buying boxes and packing paper from Uline is factored into my shipping. I usually charge $2 more for it, plus Insurance, etc... I ship a lot a month and yes $2 times a lot of boxes does become a burden...

6. DrilOne

DrilOne Comment King

flickr:
    drilone
    Instagram:
    drilone
    Advice for sales
    Oh and you should never ship a custom painted figure wrapped in bubble wrap. It reacts with the paint if it stays in the box to long. 1st wrap with paper then bubble wrap.

7. ultrakaiju

Advice for sales
    Thanks man, both excellent points, and factoring it in is exactly what I was suggesting. :lol: And no, 2$ is not really what I had in mind, it is the 20+ extra us international folks sometimes get charged.

8. DrilOne

DrilOne Comment King

flickr:
    drilone
    Instagram:
    drilone
    Advice for sales
    I always ended up undercharging outside the U.S. till I bought a scale. Now I can charge the right amounts... and neither party gets screwed.

9. MattyBoomBatty

MattyBoomBatty Addicted

Name:
    Matt
    Instagram:
    AOIMatt
    Advice for sales
    So what do you do when someone sells you a figure, never takes it out of their sales thread, you write to them numerous times asking them why they never sent it and why it's still up in their sales thread then now a year later you see them put up a sales thread and there it is AGAIN?

I think I've done a hundred and five buys on here and only two have been shitty...I don't actually have anything to sell because I keep everything I buy and give the rest away.

10. ultrakaiju

Advice for sales
    Exactly. Hence my addendum point. There is a lot fo stuff I missed out on, but paid for, probably becuase I was too honest and trusting. It is mine own fault of course, but when you realise later that something never arrived, it is often the case (for me) the sale has been pulled long ago and I don't recall exactly the person who sold it to me.

But as Matt said, 99% of the dealings on here are superb, and it's even money the bad sales generally come from folks who are members (some even long time), but rarely if ever contribute anything to the conversation or the community.

11. Russblue11

Russblue11 S7 Royalty

Name:
    Kevin
    Advice for sales
    I keep a little note on my computer of everything I buy that I'm waiting for because it can be hard to keep track of

12. toothaction

toothaction Team Tsubu Staff Member

Name:
    David
    flickr:
    toothaction
    Instagram:
    thebeautifulpuffin
    Advice for sales
    Yeah, I'd be lost without my PENDING folder. It also serves as a nice reminder of when I picked up a certain toy and who sold it to me.

Nice little primer, Steve. I know it was born of frustration but the points raised are reasonable and well-stated.