Who is Zollmen?

Discussion in 'Japan Toys' started by DYBBUKIM, Apr 25, 2009.

1. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Who is Zollmen?
    Continued from: http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29396&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50

Why the shadow dance? If someone thinks the Zollmen owner is a board member and from the SF area, let's just get it out on the table. Then, we can at least get a yes, no, or no comment.

I assume Joe must have some intel on this due to his unveiling recently, and apparent dealings with Zollmen. BUT, he cannot be Zollmen, can he, because he has been chasing the GID Maza hard? Still, Joe if you can help us with this, "Who is Zollmen?", please chime in!

And, if Zollmen is a board member, please chime in now before this blows up completely in your face.

[By the way, the Maza is a fantastic design. Kuddos, whoever you are!]

2. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Who is Zollmen?
    Lots of questions: now let's get some answers.
    I, for one, have no idea who Zollmen actually is, if he/she is a board member.

That said,
    Let's put that skullbrain investigatory powers to work. Time for the mystery to be solved.

3. rhinomilk

rhinomilk Vintage

Name:
    Cuntface
    Who is Zollmen?
    well, here's what made me suspect that the producer is not from japan:
    http://www.rumble-monsters.net/intel/intel_news26.html

but as jebcrow said...i have always suspected zollmen as coming from hokkaido (seeing the strong garimpo & exohead connections)...exo & garimpo are both from the north island.. so maybe that's it.

also, Kozik had some connections to paint the Galtan and was first to reveal the MG5 sculpt (if anyone wants to reread those threads)... that could mean nothing as he's done alot of other collabs.

for the record, i love the zollmen i have :D

4. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Who is Zollmen?
    I really never got Bemon, but the Maza sculpt is pure genius. I also like many of the other Zollmen creations. Best new toy line since Shikaruna Koubo came on the scene. If Zollmen is a boardmember, most of all I want to shake his/her hand and tell them how much I appreciate their work.

BUT, now that Brian has voiced his opinion on their production practices, that should be examined too.

5. JoeMan

JoeMan Mini Boss

flickr:
    splurrt
    Instagram:
    splurrt
    Who is Zollmen?
    Name and shame. Name and shame.
    Jk, I'm neutral. On one hand I think a creator should be able to make some money off of their work. On the other if I spent 600 plus on a figure and came to believe I had been scammed by the creator I'd be pissed. But it is your choice to drop that much.
    I do think most of the Zollmen sculpts are pretty cool, if I had a vinyl toy company that people loved, I'd want my name out there attached to it.

6. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Who is Zollmen?
    I think Joe was just joking when he said he was Kingbee. I think until there are some cold hard facts and witnesses this is all speculation.

I for one think it was great that Zollmen did lotteries on alot of releases giving everyone an equal chance.

7. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Who is Zollmen?
    Agreed. The Zollmen lotteries are great fun. Got a toy in today from the Mad Baron one. Beautiful toy. If you miss the lottery, however, then it's YJA pretty much...

8. Paulkaiju

Paulkaiju Mini Boss

Instagram:
    Paulkaiju
    Who is Zollmen?
    I can pretty much say from the basis of communication, Zollmen is based in Hokkaido.

I don't understand where this comes from. :?:

9. Future_Man

Future_Man Post Pimp

Who is Zollmen?
    This is going to sound completely remedial, but my 'hint' that Zollmen is Japan-based is/was the website. Going back to about the time the Galtan was released--with Exohead--I am not going to bore with details, but there were just certain things about the website and the contacts and the communication, etc. If it were USA-based, the person/people went to great lengths to make themselves seem Japanese. Second, prior to the first Maza release, I was in touch with Rumble Monsters who, in the most polite Japan-glish, explained to me about " 'Zollmen' came to give me this sculpt the other day for us to take to Mandarake..." Third, if the Zollmen person is a Board member, perhaps he/she does not want to communicate other than lurk...folks like Martin O., Bwana, Koji, Le Merde, etc. are members and have only occasionally made their presence known.

P.S., I have not read any other conspiracy theory (LOL!) threads, but as for USA-based folks, I figured Frank K had to have an 'in' (discussed already), as well as PK (cuz you can't just pick unpainted MonstreParade minis and Zudons off the good-luck tree.) :mrgreen:

10. silver_lining_man

silver_lining_man Mini Boss

Name:
    Josh
    Instagram:
    toyboxranger
    Who is Zollmen?
    maybe it was an attempt to temporarily kill the hype and cause value collector's to panic and sell the stuff off super cheap...

11. meanmistert

meanmistert Line of Credit

Who is Zollmen?
    [​IMG]

12. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Who is Zollmen?
    We can only hope!

People have assured me that it is not Joe. I will ask around through my contacts and try to see if anyone else has heard that Zollmen is not based in Japan. It is possible that the entire operations was set up in Japan but that the one pulling the strings is local. Why keep that secret, if true?

Will the real Zollmen please stand up?

13. leadster

leadster Addicted

Instagram:
    leadfree67
    Who is Zollmen?
    I don't think it's working...at least not yet.

I always took Joe's admssion to being Kingbee in jest. I don't get the connection to Zollmen. I forget, are Zollmen the only pieces Kingbee has ever released?

14. Vombie

Vombie Vintage

Name:
    g
    Who is Zollmen?
    I wonder if zollmen will come out at this point. It seems that if ppl are questioning their business practices, that coming out might hurt them more than help them.

15. Joe

Joe Die-Cast

Who is Zollmen?
    Buy what you like.
    Fuck the rest.
    We know who KB is.
    From what I've been reading, I can assume who Zollmen is.
    I can see the connection.

16. gatchabert

gatchabert Prototype

Name:
    Danny_Zuko
    flickr:
    gatchabert
    Instagram:
    gatchabert
    Who is Zollmen?
    I thought I did but I was wrong.

17. Biff

Biff S7 Royalty

Who is Zollmen?
    [​IMG]

18. bryce_r

bryce_r Die-Cast

Who is Zollmen?
    If you squint closely you can make out the elusive..zollmen

[​IMG]

19. khanate

khanate Side Dealer

Who is Zollmen?
    I was under the impression that Zollmen was a company, and that Exohead Jun created the Maza. I know for sure he's sculpted some of Zollmen's releases.

20. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    Who is Zollmen?
    this is correct as far as I know.

21. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Who is Zollmen?
    Super 7 is a company too. Who is the face behind the company? That was the question after Brian suggested it could be someone from the SF area.

22. khanate

khanate Side Dealer

Who is Zollmen?
    Why do people always compare ultra-hyped/manipulated-market releases to Bemons? The marketing and history have nothing to do with these newer releases that (some) people are dropping huge wads of cash on. Bemons were ridiculously non-hyped when they were released. First release of 30 HP GID Bemons did not sell out instantly , and it took years for them to become coveted by folks enough to want to spend over $200 on them. Within the last year there were 2 releases of 60 edition Bemons, and it didn't stop people from paying over $200 for one. There are many other reasons why Zollmen does not = Bemon as far as marketing and release tactics go. Seems like a pretty lazy comparison to me.

Sorry for the threadjack, so to get back on topic I'll just say that I really don't care who Zollmen is, and I'd rather not know a thing about the actual person that makes any of these toys. The best way to kill your idol is to get to know him or her too well.

23. meary

meary Addicted

Who is Zollmen?
    I don't really have a problem with the secrecy or the super limited runs. As long as they do a bigger run eventually I'll be happy to get one if the design is good. If they're flipping their own toys though it would be good to know for sure.

24. SmilingIdiot

SmilingIdiot Addicted

Who is Zollmen?
    Was Brian's suggestion that it was SF local, or was it Pogue? I only see two posts by Brian in these two threads, and neither of them mention that, but I see the small mention in Pogue's post.

I would believe it if Brian said it...but I'm not taking Glen word on it ;)

25. Pogue

Pogue Die-Cast

Who is Zollmen?
    my name has two n's!