I don't want to outbid you...

Discussion in 'Whatever' started by mondocoyote, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mondocoyote

mondocoyote Comment King

Name:
    Brian
    flickr:
    bbunting
    Instagram:
    thegalaxypeople
    Living in Japan, but not in a major city, YJA is the natural way for me to buy the harder to find toys. But I obviously dont want to go stepping on peoples toes, pushing up other board members bids.

I read references to a list of YJA usernames, and ran a few searches which came up with a few good threads but not the list i was looking for.

did anyone by chance bookmark the link?

2. Taro

Taro Line of Credit

I say, highest bidder wins, even amongst friends. That is how I do business with my buddies. If you want something, go for it!

3. Pogue

Pogue Die-Cast

my id is Knewnan2000

thanks for not wanting to outbid other people.

4. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

I dont agree with ya man. No need to make your buddies pay more for something.

But if you feel you must have it atlest let them know that its gonna be on for the battle if you decide to go for it.

5. living dead

living dead Prototype

Mondo we don't bid on be@rbricks here :twisted:

Okay just kidding, I agree good looking out.

6. Locomoco

Locomoco Die-Cast

I'm locomoco_JP on YJA

7. Taro

Taro Line of Credit

That's cool. So other folks know, the only way I bid is by a last second snipe.

8. moriachi

moriachi Line of Credit

No doubt.

9. Taro

Taro Line of Credit

And do, are we starting a dialogue about bidding practices, or just making some kind of a "veiled" comment?

10. moriachi

moriachi Line of Credit

Just a statement gwizz, suggesting I'm not surprised.
    If that's your bag snipe away. I don't swing that way - especially when it's against someone in a community I claim to be a part of.

11. Taro

Taro Line of Credit

I just want folks to know, community or not, that sniping is the only way that makes sense to me on eBay bidding. If I see somebody I know bidding on the same thing, I may pull back, but there's no guarantee. All is fair in love, war, and eBay bidding... I understand that there are philosophiical differeneces about this, but to me, it just doesn't make sense to bid early, etc. I prefer to bid "silently" at the last moment.

12. LamourSupreme

LamourSupreme Mini Boss

.I'm a sniper. That's my M.O. just like Geo. If there's a board member that wants something then I pull the scope away. I believe in lookin out instead of took'n out.
    RFSO fer reeeaaaal!

13. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

Well all I'm saying is that I respect the collectors here to the exent that if I know for a fact that they will spend more than I, I dont see any reason to make them pay out the ass just because I want because.

Personally I try to treat others here how I would like to be treated. I treat people here different than I would on other boards.

So if a member asks to have dibs I usually walk away unless I really wnat it than we can talk it out throuh PMs. to see who wants it more.

Now you have free will and can do as you please man. Just want you see my point.

I dont bid early either and try not to snipe but sometimes I do if I know I wont be around the computer at the time.

I like to watch the action becuase sometimes there is no need to bid because it might reach my max before the end.

14. toybotstudios

toybotstudios Die-Cast

I asked Locomoco about this and he was gracious enough to tell me in person that he doesn't mind if board members bid against him. Of course, he's really laid back like that. 8)

Now Locomoco is on YJA like a madman so by the time I show up, he's usually bidding already. Rather than bid against him, I did find the same sky blue and silver Gargamess on Mandarake yesterday. I may have overpaid, but with all the fees and what not, probably not that much.

I think if it was something I really, really wanted, I would probably PM Moco and tell him so and I would probably tell him my max price. If he's willing to pay more, then I would just back down and not bid.

15. Locomoco

Locomoco Die-Cast

Yeah... I'm pretty laid back about this stuff, and I place a LOT of lowball bids on YJA stuff all the time. I got a cool primative Gargamess yesterday for 1000 yen.

But I don't mind if people bid against me... I always appreciate a PM about it, but it really isn't necessary with me. :D

16. jltohru

jltohru S7 Royalty

hi mondo...

i don't bid so often on YJA, but my ID is xtohru2000

not to say "don't bid against me" but nice to introduce and know each others ID's ;) :D

17. toybotstudios

toybotstudios Die-Cast

Damn! 1,000 yen??? I knew I should have bid against you! :D

18. Mutonismyfriend

Mutonismyfriend Die-Cast

My YJ id is ADDkinDUDEgirl... hey ONLY JOKING... made that one before, so I should know better.

My YJ id is Celga, basic, no frills, bid at their leisure Celga.

Sometimes I'll put in a bid via Celga, say 4 days before an auction ends, and by the time they put in the bid, somone here will have bid as well. Generally I stand no chance anyway, not having the Gold account.

19. Pogue

Pogue Die-Cast

then get a gold account

20. moriachi

moriachi Line of Credit

you know....I'm beginning to wonder.....

;)

21. Mutonismyfriend

Mutonismyfriend Die-Cast

I don't trust myself with a gold acount. Atleast Celga ask for a deposit before each bid.

The SB stuff I really want is just impossible to go after, way too much competition - everything I'm interested seems to come pre-bid with a Locomocjp, a Knewnan2000, orsome other _______2000 id. WHen I first started bidding Yahoo Japan a few years ago, there was very little Western competition....and I used to regularly choose vintage henshin over SB as well.... if only I'd known.

22. jltohru

jltohru S7 Royalty

i like having my own ID cuz i can't stand waiting for a service to get back to me. you can bid on something at the last minute if necessary, even though i haven't needed to since i got my gold acct.

23. toybotstudios

toybotstudios Die-Cast

Celga Gold is the only way to Celga!

Is their shipping reasonable???

24. JHOTTROD

JHOTTROD Post Pimp

Name:
    John
    It definitely benefits you to gather a bunch of stuff before shipping to make it worth your while...Besides who doesnt love getting a huge box from Japan w/all kinds of good stuff in it..

25. atease

atease Super Deformed

It's good to hear all of this about Celga gold. i've been debating whether or not to get into YJA auctions or not, I've had good luck so far finding what I've been looking for via other routes, but I just might get one soon enough. I promise I won't bid against you guys.

I used to use a sniper service on other stuff (when I was still actively collecting Shag stuff), but usually only when I was going to be away on business. The stuff I've been getting lately is all BIN anyway :)

If someone knows which post the user list for the bay is on here, pass it along via a PM please. I came across a gargamess auction last month that someone was bidding on, but their username was obvious so I didn't place a bid :) No reason to outbid someone on the board....