Non- Vinyl American toys

Discussion in 'Americans and Other Western Gaijin' started by straightoutta..LOKASH, Jun 21, 2009.

1. straightoutta..LOKASH

straightoutta..LOKASH Side Dealer

Non- Vinyl American toys
    So, Im a huge collector of action figures, some of you may allready know this. I also have a pretty sizeable collection of World of Springfield toys and other related merchandise. I was wondering if any one else here collects Marvel/Dc action figures, Mc Farlane ( I like some of the sports figures) , Gi JOe, Old school MOTU or MOTU classics line, 80's-90's TMNT, Toxic Avenger , Transformers or anything else that you can buy off the rack at your local big box store?

Is this even an appropriate place to post this?

Rayola likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Probably better in the show you collection thread. But I have a good buddy who collects anything Joker related. He has some very old awesome joker toys. As well he has a nice collection of all kinds McFarlane movie stuff. I need to take some pics to show it off, I usually go there every week and just study his collection over a few beers.

Rayola likes this.
  3. atease

atease Super Deformed

Non- Vinyl American toys
    post away J

a lot of those figures were our "idols" when we were growing up so i think it's fine to post here

4. DeJesus

DeJesus Line of Credit

Name:
    Michael
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    ninja turtles are the greatest 8)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Definitely! Aside from Transformers, I also pick up the occasional 'armored hero' action figure- mostly Iron Man (love the new movie line), Blue Beetle and Beetle (the Spiderman villain). Pretty small collection, and most of it is from the 90s and on.

One random, recent score was a carded TMNT Metalhead. I think this was my favorite Turtle toy as a kid- the light-piped eyes were way ahead of the game, in retrospect.

6. LamourSupreme

LamourSupreme Mini Boss

Non- Vinyl American toys
    i was in Toys R Us today. Doesn't seem like anything caught my eye except the re-issues of the original TMNT figures. Everything looked so sterile an cheap like it was all designed packaged and manufactured all by the same factory. Such a lack of creativity in the big toy market these days.

Rayola likes this.
  7. meanmistert

meanmistert Line of Credit

Non- Vinyl American toys
    ^^^ Yep, mainstream toys really suck nowadays... I still have most of my OG Star Wars stuff ('77-84), & have no plans on getting rid of 'em anytime soon. I wish I still had my Han Solo Blaster Pistol though. :x
    I have my M.U.S.C.L.E.s.....
    & have started picking up Dr. Doom figures.

Rayola likes this.
  8. MicromanZone

MicromanZone Addicted

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Exactly. I think it's the combination of parental groups placing restrictions on size, shape and what I toy can do mixed in with a handful of companies being still around equals this blandness.

Also, is there a thread for non-Japanese toys that are cool and that people didn't win? Because I tried to snag this guy, but someone else grabbed it. Putting it in this thread because it’s cool and American.

The robot is dorky but cool. I’d toss $5 for that. But what caught my eye is the box artwork. Someone went through the trouble to rip-off a Ralph McQuarrie Star Wars production painting for this. And I don’t mean just use an image. Someone clearly repainted the original painting from scratch and instead of a R2 unit sticking it's round head out of the back of a fighter, it’s been changed to this guy’s red head and googly eyes. That’s a lot of work for a wind-up knock-off.

T-Nee Wind-Up Walking Robot
    [​IMG]

Original painting of the Rebel hangar from The Star Wars portfolio by Ralph McQuarrie
    [​IMG]

Another view inside the box. Image is not a direct rip-off, but clearly has been inspired by McQuarrie’s work... Not to mention the trench scene in Star Wars.
    [​IMG]

9. phantomfauna

phantomfauna Side Dealer

Non- Vinyl American toys
    The packaging on that is great.

I agree with the rest of you most the new stuff today is bad and has been bad for years. I think that is where my interest in Kaiju started.

Oh...I did pick up a reissue of TMNT Rocksteady.

10. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Side Dealer

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Matchbox cars have been a guilty pleasure for the last two years. The occasional HotWheels car as well (check out the Bone Shaker)...it started by buying them for my nephew...but it's a good, cheap toy fix for me as well.

still buying Jawas, Droids and Yoda figures...even though the new "Droid Factory" shit screws me completely...the latest Jawa with Droid release was awesome, as was the recent 2-1B figure.

I don't discriminate, if the toy looks cool, gives me a reaction, and I got the money - it's coming home. Hell, I threw a mini-fit in the supermarket a few nights ago when a broken "barn animals" capsule machine ate my quarters and instead of being able to get the toy I just got a refund - BOO!

11. animator

animator Mr. Freshly Smacked Ass Staff Member

Name:
    David
    Instagram:
    davidjcoffman
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    I'm a fan of a lot of the McFarlane stuff. The Where the Wild Things Are is by far my favorite. I also have all my MOTU and TMNT stuff hanging out at my parents house in a closet. I will eventually have to pull out castle greyskull and put it on display.

12. bob242

bob242 Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Good grief...I collect pretty much anything I had or wanted in the 80's. I loved my toys back then! As far as new stuff, I'm a DC nut and pick up whatever characters I like when there's a good fig made.

13. MicromanZone

MicromanZone Addicted

Non- Vinyl American toys
    More on topic, I like cool knock-offs and such from the 1970s/1980s. Don't have a big collection—it's mainly Microman stuff—but if something catches my eye I'll snag it. I actually like a lot of the artwork from vending machines and novelty catalogs back in the 1970s when graphic design was simpler and generic space toys were more common. What kills me is the level of branding in modern toys as well. What I like about older toys is they exist on their own without deep branding. At least there were more toys like that.

14. ---NT---

---NT--- Prototype

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I collected the World of Springfield line too. That was probably my first big collecting foray...I had the completist mentality early because I never expected it to go on for so long. It was tough to keep up with everything - a new Wave each quarter with at least one figure being short-stocked, then all the TRU & Toyfare exclusives. I'm still missing two pieces, but keep telling myself I'll pick them up some day.

15. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    I've pretty much "collected" toys since I was 14, before that it wasn't so much "collecting" as "recieving" and then "playing with." For me it's the same for all toys, just try to get whatever gets me going.

Right now I'm very into the original MOTU figures and TMNT, but really not the main characters. Mostly the weirder side guys.

Pulsar Man or any sort of "Bionic" man type figures, 80's/90's groos out type stuff, Star Wars all over the place, modern, vintage, whatever. I have some

DC Direct stuff too, I'm slow on them cause' I won't pay full price, I wait for cheap eBay lots or sales. I'll try to get some pics up soon, lots of it is in boxes right now due to space.

Again, I can go on FOREVER, nothing specific, just whatever catches my eye. I don't think anythign modern has for some time, though. I'll admit it, I like Star Wars Mighty Muggs, and am ashamed, I think it's mainly because it's "STAR WARS" though. After getting Vader, Fett, Stormtrooper, Chewy and Lando I'm done, though.

16. Mutonismyfriend

Mutonismyfriend Die-Cast

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Me too - WoS all the way!

My favorite is a superb custom Naked Homer (relaxed homer with underwear sanded off, and sculpey yellow junk, and AWESOME zig zag pubes). I used to stand him in teh living room playset with a can of duff in one hand and all teh family admiring Homer's..... errrr....beer.

Press teh button and hear him say "EVeryone's stoopid except me"

Excellent!!!!

I got him at teh same time as I attended an underpublizized Bongo Comics signing - and turned out Matt G was aware of teh auction I got him from and was interested in who ended up with Naked Homer. He was kind of stoked about it!

straightoutta..LOKASH likes this.
  17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I like Silly Putty.

18. Collin Shots

Collin Shots Side Dealer

Non- Vinyl American toys
    When I was a kid I had these bendy skate dudes I couldn't get enough of, there was an eyeball one and tons of crazy mutants in cool colors that came on skateboards that rolled all ways with little ball bearings on the bottom, I never even knew the name of them, that was kind of the appeal like M.U.S.C.L.E.S. but here is a pic of one

[​IMG]

Think late 80's neon mutant skater outer spacemen. They had wires in them to hold in place.

19. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I'm into all things MOTU.
    I also like all of the newer action figures done by The Four Horsemen for their Seventh Kingdom line.

20. Biff

Biff S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    A few years back, I used to collect the 12" Universal Monster & misc Sci Fi figures from Sideshow. (The big head monsters, too.) After that, the new licenses seemed kind 'eh'.

21. BloodDrinker6969

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    That was their best stuff, I can't believe some of the stupid garbage they license out now.

22. JoeMan

JoeMan Mini Boss

flickr:
    splurrt
    Instagram:
    splurrt
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Ahhhhh Real Monster toys, are the coolest American toys ever and do all types of great stuff.
    I started buying them when this link popped up in the SB forum a while back.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufEz2ZLu ... re=related
    The real monster toys are very true to these protos. Cool toys to play with or just look at.

23. Grapefruit Goblin

Grapefruit Goblin Toy Prince

Instagram:
    grapefruitgoblin
    Non- Vinyl American toys

24. Grapefruit Goblin

Grapefruit Goblin Toy Prince

Instagram:
    grapefruitgoblin
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    I love Masters I had pretty much the whole line as akid. I relly loved the knockoffs as well.
    [​IMG]

There isn't much of that anymore. I would like to see more lowlevel companies put out toys similar to the popular stuff. Ya know? Not bootleg but homage figs.

Nofunction likes this.
  25. BloodDrinker6969

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Currently my favorite TMNT, slightly beating out Mutagen Man and Wyrm.