Non- Vinyl American toys

Discussion in 'Americans and Other Western Gaijin' started by straightoutta..LOKASH, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    I agree that the original misshapen dudes are the shit, but I really recommend picking up a MOTUC just for the hell of it. Like the old figures, they're all sorta built off the same platform sculpt...and it's amazing. They're definitely quality and that certainly defeats "the purpose" in a certain way...but as a fan of the cartoon/characters just as much as the toys, I definitely love that they're making these.

I think they supplement the original toys--and do a bitching job at it--but they can never replace them.

2. straightoutta..LOKASH

straightoutta..LOKASH Side Dealer

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I definitely agree with you on this one. the MOTUC figures receive a lot of hate around here, but I don't know why, they are great figures.

3. Parka

Parka S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Because Mattell are crappy and you can only seem to find them on eBay? :? I'm not bitter, honest.

4. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I'm a MOTU nerd anyway, but MOTUC continues to be a fav. of mine, these days.

5. straightoutta..LOKASH

Non- Vinyl American toys
    From what Ive seen, they sell for about retail on the bay.I would tell you to subscribe to the monthly figure like I did, but I dont think our UK friends can as Mattel wont ship overseas.

6. Parka

Parka S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Damn racists :?

7. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Haha...nah, I feel you...it's just funny considering the hoops we normally go through to get our toys and the prices we spend on them!

8. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    To be clear on the MOTUC line for me, they're nice, but that's the problem. THEY'RE NICE! I mean I don't hate them, they're about 100000 x better then the reboot MOTU figure line (both times) but I feel like the whole charm has been disolved. I understand them and all, I "get" them, but they're just not for me. Marvel Legends are to Marvel Megos as MOTUC are to MOTU original.

If the MOTUC line was like $8-$12 and I could go nab them in a store I'd be about them. But for the price, meh, I can get OG's that rock socks for $4 a pop if they have everything, less if not.

9. straightoutta..LOKASH

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I hear you on the legends/mego reference. You need to own one , or at least hold one in your hands. The bulkiness is familiar to the old style. Also, is the way you drink blood in the 69 position? Or is 6969 a new position ive just never heard of? :D

10. BloodDrinker6969

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    I've held them at conventions, still not selling me.

My name was more of a joke. I have a running joke with friends about the worst types of screen names. They usually involve things like death, kill, blood etc. and then what you do with those things followed by a number but it's gotta be a number like 69 or 138 or 666. So a bad one would be "killhunter138" or something. Maybe using a number vs a letter too like "ki11hunt3er138". I just doubled the bad and made it 6969 which I suppose is a double negative and is just facing someone on a regular stance.

11. Parka

Parka S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    If it wasn't a nostalgia trip you'd be telling people to get that McFarlane crap out of here! :twisted:

12. straightoutta..LOKASH

Non- Vinyl American toys
    True! McFarlane is crap!

I actually collect action figures, figures with articulation and playability. I havent posted pics yet but I have a decent Gi Joe collection, along with a fair sized Simpsons collection.

13. BloodDrinker6969

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    I dunno, I don't think the MOTUC line seems McFarlanish. More like DC Direct. I love DC Direct but can't pay those prices, I usually wait until they're way cheap on sale somewhere. I'd buy the MOTUC if they were cheaper, but since they're sold in a way to keep after market prices up I doubt I can get them cheaper.

14. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Yeah, don't know where the McFarlane comparison comes from. The few McFarlane toys I've ever handled were super cheap (brittle) PVC and barely poseable...more like statues than figures. The sculpts were cool...but they were almost sculpted *in* an "intended" pose and you really weren't supposed to change it! The paint ops were good, but I've seen many figures with broken joints. Eh.

Complete opposite with MOTUC. Great articulation, rugged construction. If they were so expensive and hard to find to the average consumer, they'd be GREAT for kids...I mean, *I* sure would've loved them when I was a kid. And you certainly can't say that about McFarlane toys.

But anyway, Jeff, I hear you. This discussion has been had 1000 times at TBDX among the robot guys. There's simply two types of fandom: fandom of the old-school toys and fandom of the original character. Jeff, you sound like a fan of the OG toys...so why the fuck would you ever want "better" toy representations of those silly characters?? Meanwhile, people totally into the "mythos" of MOTU probably love the MOTUC line because they're basically the "ultimate" incarnations of their beloved characters.

I think most fans are somewhere in the middle. Like, I was never a HUGE fan of the original toys (only had a few), but I always loved the cartoon/characters (original and the 2002 reboot). But I'm also an old-schooler: I get into arguments all the time on TBDX shitting on modern "adult collectibles" like Soul of Chogokin, while touting the virtues of the original Popy chogokin and Jumbos.

So I'm kinda in the middle of the different types of fandoms. As such, I have a complete original MOTU Scare Glow...but I also have the MOTUC. It's whatever floats your boat. And it's all good.

15. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Some cool new MOTUC shit @ Toy Fair yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    That Whiplash is sooooooo cool!
    [​IMG]

16. audiodifficulties

audiodifficulties S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    The visible articulation (esp knees) and parts of the scale of the MOTUC classics are what kill them for me.
    I've been amassing armies of the classics so no need for the newer ones in general.
    That said the mossman is probably the best imo so far, and that whiplash is awesome.

17. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Agreed that the articulation breaks up the flow. And, I would have liked them to have been a pinch smaller (so that they were exactly in scale with the classic figures). However, the extensive articulation does allow you to put MOTUC into that "classic crouch" position, so it works ok for me.

18. Parka

Parka S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I was gearing more for the actual detail on the items as opposed to how they feel/quality of them. Its like they're intellectualising a kids cartoon (which is a pretty crappy cartoon, yeah, I said it..) because they're embarrased about it and added detail which isn't there just to give the sculptor something to do.

Or something.

Its a nonsensical reason to me but they just don't have the charm of the originals.

19. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I think your point is totally valid. Nothing can touch the originals.
    But, for whatever reason, (probably mostly nostalgia) I think these new ones are fun, too. :)

20. BloodDrinker6969

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Who's the ape? Was there an old version of it? I just kinda want it despite which line it's from. It looks like there's going to be a mid-grade MOTUC line coming kinda like the DC Universe figures in Targets and crap. I think that's what I saw in some Toyfair pics

21. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    That gorilla figure is Gygor. He's a concept from the original 80's line that never made it past the prototype stage.
    More info:
    http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=1148
    Also, the MOTUC that will see retail release are DC vs. MOTU 2 packs that will be exclusive to Toys R US. They will be He-Man and Super Man and Skeletor and Lex Luthor.

22. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Whaaaa? Madness, I tell you!

23. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Yeah, well, logically, it's based upon a comic crossover between Superman and He-Man from the 80's (a reprint of which will come with the pack). So, that's the logic behind it.
    What is a bit confusing, however, is that those DC figures are about an inch shorter than the MOTUC. So, there's a bit of a scale issue.
    The He-Man and Skeletor are going to be slightly repainted in a more comic accurate manner, so, it's sort of a must for completists. And, at the end of the day, it gets the MOTU brand out into the public eye a bit more. I guess that's cool.

24. audiodifficulties

audiodifficulties S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Its too bad clint isn't around much anymore, he was way into the old heman as a barbarian kind of figure and would love that ape.

25. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Trap Jaw solt out in 15 mins and Battle Cat sold out in a half an hour. Crazy shit!