Non- Vinyl American toys

Discussion in 'Americans and Other Western Gaijin' started by straightoutta..LOKASH, Jun 21, 2009.

1. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
  2. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Gah...Jeff, please don't sully this thread with that trash. Those were already brought up in a recent KR thread. And like I said in that thread, fuck the Madball figures...and just stick with the vintage head-popper figs!

Anyway, I ended up passing on MOTUC Trap Jaw. I thought I'd really want it...but somehow, the details of the suit and his face sculpt don't quite do it for me. It seems caught between the campy nature of the silly original figure and the hyper-real 2002 reboot figure. Who knows...I may end up picking it later down the road...

I *am* smacking myself in the head for spacing on Battle Cat. Will definitely have to pick him up later...but as usual, the flippers are out in full force. They seem to be going for over $70. I'll have to wait til the heat dies down...

I did, however, end up picking up Zodak (yes, with a "k")...the mystic enforcer protege of the original Zodac (the cosmic enforcer). He's the black guy featured in the 2002 cartoon (yay, another black guy in MOTU!!). Supposed to have GID tattoos. Will post pics when I get him.

Right now, I'm still swooning over the new Scare Glow! Shit...really need to get on taking pics of him with the original figure. They both glow SO fucking bright!

Anyway, I was discussing the MOTUC line with a buddy the other night and he mentioned avoiding getting into them, despite loving the original line. I definitely saw where he was coming from: he's the type of dude (like, I think, most guys here) who would want to pick up the whole line. And at over $20 a pop, plus the hassle of having to "snipe" them when they come out, that's kinda annoying.

I guess that never really occurred to me (let alone bothered me) because I only tend to pick up the one or two characters/colorways I like (much like pretty much everything I collect...

Just food for thought...

3. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Post Pimp

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Zodac>Zodak (from the well known fact, cosmic>mystic) :razz:

Maybe I'll pick up the HeMan/Super/Skelletoy?Luther packs when they come out... I like the new He Man and Skeletor, and a Superman figure seems alright.

4. justin

justin Addicted

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I got a 2 bins full of sealed or mib G1 transformers. can't thank my family enough for forcing the TF collection onto me as a kid back in the day. Never liked it until the '07 movie came out.

I bought a crap load of james cameron's Avatar toys for dirt cheap at target the other day. The vehicle toys can fit any regular action figure (gi joe, star wars, etc). AMP Suit looks awesome when a stormtrooper is running it.

5. Parka

Parka S7 Royalty

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Hang on, you preferred the tf film to the original cartoon? Thats pretty messed up! :lol:

6. justin

justin Addicted

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Well, after buying the complete G1 series on DVD.. HELL NO. :) Original cartoons makes the new films look like a joke.

7. selekta_nips

selekta_nips Post Pimp

Non- Vinyl American toys
    here is a rare flocked He-man i found under my heater in my basement
    [​IMG]
    i think he has absestos on him

8. Aldo

Aldo Comment King

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Two good accidental finds at the local flea market.
    [​IMG]

9. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I always forget how cool that Mondo Gecko figure is. Totally need one.

10. Brad814

Brad814 Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I go in Toys R Us sometimes, just to kinda re visit my old childhood memories... But I agree the new toys all suck bad... Depressing. The only things I think are interesting is the Transformers and GI Joe 25th re-issue stuff, the new MOTU classics, and the re-issue Madballs... But most of that is only available online now... I'd like to see a re-issue line of the M.U.S.C.L.E.S... The Madballs were the best though and SB even sold them for a bit!!

11. Brad814

Brad814 Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I LOVE all the original cartoons! Bought a bunch of the GI Joe and Transformer 80's stuff on dvd for me and my daughter to watch! :lol:

12. mildew180

mildew180 Side Dealer

Name:
    Jsan
    flickr:
    mildew180
    Instagram:
    mildew180
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Is tru going to have a masterpiece.Grimlock figure? When will it be out?

13. Brad814

Brad814 Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    A grimlock would be cool, I haven't heard about that though... The closest is the SDCC Soundwave which is by far the coolest non-vinyl toy I own! I love that one.

14. mildew180

mildew180 Side Dealer

Name:
    Jsan
    flickr:
    mildew180
    Instagram:
    mildew180
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    This year they are going to release a sdcc blaster figure. The autobot boombox.

15. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    I'm pretty sure it is...but for the life of me, I can't remember where this info was posted...

16. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Dude, you're in Chicago right? Hit up Forever Young (7701 Belmont in Elmwood Park) or Quake in the city http://www.yelp.com/biz/quake-collectibles-chicago. Either are BOUND to have one or both of those plus WAY more.

17. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    For sure, man. Quake's the shit! :mrgreen:
    BTW, here's a pic of one of my fav. pieces of my collection, a classic custom Anthro Panthor (really flocked!) by Hex Evo:
    [​IMG]

18. Brad814

Brad814 Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    That guy is sweet! I have a love hate thing with the American stuff. I mean the 80s stuff is priceless... But the new stuff just completly brings me down. I was in toys r us yesterday looking for any throwback or "gross out" stuff, but in the end I just wanted to trash the place! I wish my daughter could grow up with what I had, but no, it's all gonna be psp xbox and Hannah Montana, ect... Yuk! Like somebody said before, I guess that's why I got into kaiju and vinyl.

19. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Regarding modern American toys you can pick up in any toy store, there are definitely gems out there. You just need to dig for 'em. For example, most things by Megabloks nowadays are fucking killer...have you seen their upcoming Iron Man 2 toys? So dope.

20. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    I'm just so bummed that the Iron Man figures moved down to 3.75" scale. I liked some of the 6" ones from the last movie, though.
    edit- Didn't realize you were talking about Megablocks. I'm not familiar, but I'll check them out.

21. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Well, as for the 3-3/4" Hasbro figures, I've heard they're much better this year. The quality on the 6" ones last year was MAD suspect...and the sculpt/design choices were kinda wack (especially the shoulder armor pieces that kept popping off). The new 3-3/4" are much tighter. Better sculpts. More solid all-around. Plus, at least they're in-scale with the other Marvel figures...

And here's coverage of the Megabloks stuff:
    http://www.collectiondx.com/article/nyt ... iron_man_2

22. justin

justin Addicted

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Comes out this year, but I highly suggest picking up the Takara version.

23. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Non- Vinyl American toys
    Why? It's four times more expensive...for the same toy.

24. TrimmTrabb

TrimmTrabb Toy Prince

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Custom bloodied Machine Gunnin Rocksteady by Tokka:
    [​IMG]

25. justin

justin Addicted

Non- Vinyl American toys
    Same toy, not. Go ahead and buy the cheap, watered-down for kids to suck on, American Hasbro version. If you're even collecting Masterpiece Transformers, then you should already be hands down Takara-only - with the exception of the Wal-Mart Masterpiece Starscream, which is cartoon accurate. It is not the same toy.