super mickeymario by dave bondi

Discussion in 'Americans and Other Western Gaijin' started by alifeintoys, Aug 15, 2008.

1. alifeintoys

alifeintoys Side Dealer

2. living dead

living dead Prototype

I like Kaws.

I don't like this.

3. fletchthis

fletchthis Addicted

It doesn't really capture either character well.

4. ---NT---

---NT--- Prototype

Looks atrocious. Looks like a bootleg of both characters, mashed together. Or maybe like what a 4th grader would draw on his Pee-Che during math class.

5. uberboy

uberboy Line of Credit

I am not into this. But it's not bad and it shows a little more thought than some of Kaws more recent mash-ups with bubble skull.

It's also good to see this guy getting his name out there. He's sculpted tons of stuff for the western scene including most of JLEDs more famous and expensive pieces. It's kind of like Kiyoka when he worked for SecretBase-- he's the man behind the toys that make the money.

this particular toy has a nice sculpt, but I guess that's what Bondi's all about.

6. mz

mz Toy Prince

I think holy fuck does that thing suck.

7. mz

mz Toy Prince

Granted, Bondi's a great sculptor (Possessed head?), but...

8. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

yawn... NEXT!

9. ---NT---

---NT--- Prototype

Seriously? That's what you think of when you think of great sculpts? I think any 3rd grader with a can of Playdoh could sculpt that.

10. mz

mz Toy Prince

My bits. Meant to include the Possessed, not just the head.

11. toybotstudios

toybotstudios Die-Cast

12. Grizlli

Grizlli S7 Royalty

i am not stoked on his sculpts, in fact some are pretty growdy

13. bryce_r

bryce_r Die-Cast

For some reason it just looks really cheap and sort of reminds me of something I'd see at a flea market.

14. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Plus why these 2 characters? I mean, I know both are giant corprate childrens icons, but Mario is not NEARLY as big as Mickey. I know to a lot of us Mario might be, but everyone knows Mickey, not everyone actually knows Mario, so why these 2?

It's ugly regardless of it's "message" (or lack of message.)

15. evilrabbitry

evilrabbitry Comment King

i dunno....I think its debatable that mario is less popular than mickey....especially in this day and age. He may very well be, but the gap of disparity between the two is closing fast.

16. ---NT---

---NT--- Prototype

I don't know, but perhaps Mario is as recognizable in Japan as Mickey is in the US?

17. joshuajh

joshuajh Administrator Staff Member

i would say astro boy is more appropriate in the 'mickey mouse is to the usa' analogy.

this piece doesnt wave my flag.

18. Vombie

Vombie Vintage

It made me laugh--so I guess it did something for me!

I was expecting something much better. this looks pretty fugly. was that the artist's intention or was it as far as he could go with the idea?

19. atease

atease Super Deformed

I agree with you completely on this one. These characters have nothing to do with each other.

yikes this is a bad toy

20. Vombie

Vombie Vintage

I would think of Mario as the "Mickey Mouse" of video games.

...I dunno...it's pretty weird, but I think it's funny. If I ever saw one at a flea market, I'd pick it up.

21. atease

atease Super Deformed

that's a bit of a stretch in my mind, but i think you hit the nail on the head. pick it up at a flea market..

22. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Think of all the old people who think "Mario" is just a guy who owns a pizza place. People of all ages know Mickey, I bet from any country too. I think Mickey is in the top 5 most recognizable characters on Earth, I don't think Mario hits 10. Superman's top 5 too, I gotta find that study.

23. meary

meary Addicted

24. evilrabbitry

evilrabbitry Comment King

True, but disney hardly has the stranglehold on the entertainment industry it once had....which led to Micky's rise to fame. In the world today, and to children today Mickey is relatively unimportant, while mario is a hands on super hero bringing in a new age. I don't doubt that mickey is known in the hearts and minds of more people than mario, currently...but given the demographics of preference, it may not last forever.

anyhow...personally i would only pick up this figure to throw it, I think its lame.

25. bryce_r

bryce_r Die-Cast

Rather than a celebration of famous characters, Dave's new hybrid figures questions the status of commercial icons in a pointed fashion.

I don't know why but comments like that annoy me.