my Cro-mags road trip

Discussion in 'Whatever' started by bannedindc, Oct 10, 2008.

1. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    my Cro-mags road trip
    So I know most of you don't dare venture into the LASK forum, much less actual LASK territory. It's full of Cronies looking to shank you for Golden week usugrows and URA brains so I don't blame you. I took my chances wednesday for some serious reasons. For those who stopped listening to hardcore in 84 or decided to not ruin their lives by starting in the first place: the Cro-mags basically wrote a album that is a soundtrack to what's it like to grow up in scary Lower east side of NYC in the 80s. growing up poor, stabbing people for money and eventually Finding Krishna . All the while being the first people on earth to stage dive on national television.

It's no secret that I love this band. Last week the authors of Radio silence, a book on hardcore years '85-'91, announced a free cro-mags(jam) show and Q & A session at the Nike theatre. I decided I had to go. So my roommate and I decided to do something hadn't done in years. We drove 6+ hours to see a band we loved, Hang out for a bit and would drive 6+ hours right back home. For my roommate this meant no sleep and straight into work. Was it worth it? 100% The show was amazing. Hung out with Scott(Havingmysay) and some old friends who happened to be there. Decided I would share my good times to remind everybody that in these turbulent times I still look to my peers and music for catharsis. As rarely as I find it, It happened on wednesday.

Here are some photos I found on the web from it:
    [​IMG]
    the line outside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DMS crew doing crowd control
    [​IMG]
    All of chain of strength in front of a photo of them from about 20 years ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the Q & A session before hand
    Chris Bratton (Chain of strength), John Roa (End To End/Justice League), Jason Farrel (Swiz), John Joseph (Cro-Mags), Anthony Pappalardo (Author), Nathan Nedorstek (Author), Sean Ross (Excel), Dan O'Mahoney (NFAA/Carry Nation), and Gavin Oglesby (NFAA/Carry Nation).
    [​IMG]

PS- Buy radio silence .

PPS- Having my say spotted moshing on several occasions. DON'T DENY IT DUDE!

2. redhanded

redhanded Side Dealer

my Cro-mags road trip
    Awesome!

I can't wait to see them in Austin for Fun Fun Fun fest in a couple weeks!

3. conqueror

conqueror Addicted

my Cro-mags road trip
    HOLY SHIT at that chain photo. everyone knows curt sold out, but i'm pretty sure i read the drummer (maybe?) is the only one still edge.

4. Zaaier

Zaaier Line of Credit

my Cro-mags road trip
    Yeah that (x)Chain(x) picture rules. Funny to hear the DMS posse were keeping the stage 'safe' and 'clean'.

5. jebcrow

jebcrow Side Dealer

my Cro-mags road trip
    sounds cool,,,that is dedication alex...

i know i am heavily out of the loop on this scene for years,,,

but do harley & mackie still play with the cro mags???

by the looks of that set list,,they played lots of age of quarrel tracks (the only album i know)...

btw,,did they become straight edge later on?? they certainly were not in the olden days... :shock:

6. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    my Cro-mags road trip
    It's called cro mags "jam" because it is Mackie, JJ, AJ from lee way and Craig(straight ahead,SOIA).
    Honestly I've seen the cro-mags during the short timei t was JJ,harley,mackie and doug holland(no parris) and it was really good. In all honesty the jam shows were just as good. They played most AOQ tracks but no seekers of the truth though, bummed on that. They also didn't play death camps which is the hardest/best non-AOQ tracks. They did play "crush the demoniac" which is the 2nd best non-AOQ track. Harley is still a asshole about straight edge and was called on it in Syrauce years ago and punked out when challenged to a fight on his shit talking. JJ is respectful and has nice things to say. bloodclot=living legend.

I don't think any of the chain guys are still edge but I could be wrong. That photo rules non the less.

Here is me stirring the pot:
    Count me out was as good Chain of strength, if not possibly better.

7. devilboy

devilboy Mini Boss

my Cro-mags road trip
    awesome...glad you guys had a good time.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my Cro-mags road trip
    the Leeway intro into We Gotta Know almost made my head explode, fools got outta my way.

9. devilboy

devilboy Mini Boss

my Cro-mags road trip
    which leeway song?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my Cro-mags road trip
    the intro to rise and fall

11. SmilingIdiot

SmilingIdiot Addicted

my Cro-mags road trip
    Did you guys read the book Cro-Magnon by John Joseph? That was an interesting book, check it out if you haven't done so already.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my Cro-mags road trip
    fuck the book... you need the audio version

13. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    my Cro-mags road trip
    "can you say alpo?"

14. SmilingIdiot

SmilingIdiot Addicted

my Cro-mags road trip
    I have the audio version, but haven't listened to it yet. I normally read before going to bed, so the thought of JJ reading me a bedtime story is disturbing...

15. devilboy

devilboy Mini Boss

my Cro-mags road trip
    i'm listening to the cromags and leeway at work this morning... :twisted:

16. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    my Cro-mags road trip
    It's disturbing in a sad way. If even 1% of what's told is true, He has a very very hard childhood. A couple of my close friends are in the photo section of the book because they ran the Marine Corp marathon in DC with him. What a surprise/shock it was to open the book and find them in it.

The audio is so entertaining I highly suggest listening to it ASAP, especially if you haven't read the book.