Netflix, Hulu, Prime... der streamiverse!

Discussion in 'Whatever' started by Joe Bunny, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dean

Dean Prototype

I also found the first episode very disturbing, but wasn't it excellent TV? Thus far I've only seen the first two. The second one is also superb, shades of THX 1138 but more emotional. Kinda heartbreaking actually. Very much looking forward to catching the rest of the series ... I'm told the best is yet to come.

2. smurph

smurph Comment King

Name:
    Sam
    First episode was good... disturbing but well done.
    bacon anyone?
    The White Bear and Waldo episodes in S2 were decent, but the second episode of S1 "15 Million Merits" was easily my favorite of the series.
    What a heartbreaking and haunting tale, it's been a long time since I've watched something that left such an impression on me.

3. xSuicide Squadx

xSuicide Squadx Super Deformed

Name:
    Robert
    Instagram:
    manic_1mag3s
    15 Million Merits, for a lack of better words, fucked up pretty good, as did The Entire History of You. The entire series is super depressing, but a pretty good reflection on current society and where it could potentially lead. Be Right Back was pretty terrifying on multiple emotional levels.

4. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    I was bored and subjected myself to syfy's 'Z Nation' season 1. Corniness at times aside (zombie tornado, baby zombie) it wasn't half bad. I love how it makes fun of Walking Dead with so many one liners of dialogue directly from WD in a tongue and cheek way.

5. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Just watched two docs: 'Hot Girls Wanted'- which was disgusting and just reinforces how I feel about vapid pop culture and everyone wanting to be rich & famous when they are actually clueless. You can't feel bad for these people when they essentially are saying I'll sell my pussy for money but when I don't get famous or I end up broke again someone needs to take care of me. They choose to be damaged goods.

A good recommendation is 'Antarctica- A Year on The Ice'. Beautifully shot, makes you want to actually go there. Focuses on what's it's like physically and mentally, myths about having to be a scientist to go there. what it's like to stay over a winter there (April-August). Fascinating.

6. kid_miracleman

kid_miracleman Comment King

Name:
    Chris
    Instagram:
    kid_miracleman
    Danger 5 is perhaps one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It's an Australian surrealist comedy where a bunch of a secret agents try to stop crazy Nazi plots and kill Hitler. The 1st season is styled to take place in the 1960s and the 2nd season is all about the 80s.

7. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Wow Wet Hot American Summer- First Day of Camp is super lame. They did this sequel series 10 years too late. Tried watching 2 episodes before just turning it off. Really hard to buy into this being a prequel when all the actors look fat and old now. Plots are trying too hard to be funny and come off as boring as shit and predictable. Seems like this was made based just on the cult following of the first movie and so every comedian can get in a cameo.

8. drybones69

drybones69 Addicted

Name:
    Kevin
    Instagram:
    d_b_138
    If youre looking for a good cult film "faults" is an amazingly creepy film with great writing. Now on Netflix.

9. psilo110

psilo110 Post Pimp

Instagram:
    1ll_3quipt
    I really liked The State in its day but the original movie Wet Hot American Summer was genuinely terrible.

10. IronPaw

IronPaw Side Dealer

Instagram:
    iron_paw
    "As always, kill Hitler!"

11. SaintOfSpinners

SaintOfSpinners Side Dealer

Instagram:
    monkwgun
    Love Danger 5!!! When they go back in time and future selves does coke with past selves is to awesome in it's unique wrongness.

12. trueadrn

trueadrn Line of Credit

Name:
    Adrian
    Instagram:
    adrians_flip_phone
    anyone know how much Netflix is going up monthly? Wife mentioned it in passing, I don't know if its worth much more than current price.

13. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Not sure of what the increase will be but the selection is utter shit. Maybe a handful or movies/shows worth watching among a wasteland of low end crap. Can't tell you how many times I've searched for a movie only to see it's only available for DVD rental. Who does that anymore? Everything should be streaming! Christ on a tricycle already.

To make matters worse, I have to do all my searching on my computer because the interface on the PS3 sucks. Same movies listed over an over in every category.

14. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Thanks for recommending Danger 5! It's funny as hell. Love how Claire is always silenced by the Colonel Chestbridge before the mission, and Pierre always gets a drink recipe revealed by a dying friend. Too funny.

It's funny I saw a gif of that Victory Demon with the fire chainsaw online a long time ago and really thought it was from a 1960's japanese live action show!

15. Lttr Prssd

Lttr Prssd Comment King

Name:
    Mark
    Instagram:
    wakeupheavy
    Watched this today and enjoyed it. Kinda saw the twist coming, but still, the leads kept it compelling.

For some reason it made me think of Compliance, which I highly recommend. You have to get over the fact that some really dumb stuff is being done by people who you think should know better since it all actually happened. More than once!

16. JoeMan

JoeMan Mini Boss

flickr:
    splurrt
    Instagram:
    splurrt
    I watched 1 episode of American Summer, and that was enough for me

17. topher

topher Addicted

Name:
    Chris
    100% agree in regards to Wet Hot... really not good.
    Netflix never releases their view #s as far as i know but I'm willing to bet Wet Hots are not great.

Thanks also from me for the Danger5 recommendation, how could anyone not like it! so great :D

Season 3 of "The Mind of a Chef" was just added, its a super well done PBS travel and cooking show focusing on a particular chef each season.
    The first season follows David Chang and is my favorite.

18. badteethcomics

badteethcomics Post Pimp

Name:
    Glenn
    Instagram:
    badteethcomics
    Man I'm 5 episodes in to Wet Hot american Summer and it is fantastic! Pure fun and old VHS comedy cliches

19. Lttr Prssd

Lttr Prssd Comment King

Name:
    Mark
    Instagram:
    wakeupheavy
    Just watched The Living. It's the ubiquitous slow-burn, but well-acted if not wholly original.

20. trueadrn

trueadrn Line of Credit

Name:
    Adrian
    Instagram:
    adrians_flip_phone
    they keep getting rid of so many titles even shows. My sons loved Batman: Brave and the Bold. That Music Meister episode was baby crack, broke down and bought it on iTunes, but whats the point of having Netflix if I have to buy what I want to watch on iTunes :lol:

21. Lttr Prssd

Lttr Prssd Comment King

Name:
    Mark
    Instagram:
    wakeupheavy
    I really wish they'd offer an OnDemand service so they could expand their streaming library. Like Amazon's set-up. But yes, lately the movies (and shows) seem to be lower quality, less desirable fare.

22. dtoes

dtoes Toy Prince

Name:
    Drew
    Instagram:
    un.affiliated
    Yeah the netflix selection is getting thin.

I really enjoyed the first season of "NARCOS"

23. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Did not enjoy Narcos^^^

Liked the concept and the first few episodes but then it just got as little ridiculous, especially with Escobar not dying in the end so they can stretch a season 2 out of it!

I am watching Luther finally and after a sleepy first season, season 2 has really kicked up a notch! Although I'm having a hard time thinking that no one in the UK will stand up to skinny little serial killers, or similarly framed anarchists armed with just a acid water pistol and hammer. I mean really? I guy like walks into an office like that here the US would get A) tackled somehow and have his head stomped in or B) legally shot right quick

Still very much enjoying the tension....

24. Waterbear

Waterbear Line of Credit

To be fair a lot of what went on in season one was ridiculous but true at the same time. Including the prison escape. Netflix actually hired the two main real life DEA agents responsible for hunting him down as consultants for the show. There is a decent amount of fantasy mixed in but a lot of the craziest parts of the show did actually happen.

Jiro dreams of sushi os on netflix now. Beautiful film.

25. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    No I definitely read up and knew many of those events were true, but I think it just jumped the shark for me with the helicopter chasing one of the head honchos in the truck. He seemed utterly ruthless then just sort of gave up. Spiraled into lame after that for me.

Also the actor playing Murphy is just annoying.