Call out to UK 'brainers

Discussion in 'Hinterlands' started by ultrakaiju, Nov 24, 2015.

1. ultrakaiju

ultrakaiju Die-Cast Staff Member

Call out to UK 'brainers
    So I am kind of surprised that there really isn't anything in the way of a collective topic here for UK/SB associated stuff. I know that the contingent here on the isles is not many, but there are some of you out there, and as a sort of proxy local for the time being, I just thought I would chime in to take the initiative. [dodges the flying bottle] I know, it goes against the whole reserved British-ness, which is just why an ol' friendly and uncouth lumberjack is coming in to rile up the masses.

So, for starters, how spread out are we all? I think logistically any meeting could pose some problems, but might as well ask. I was just wondering if there was any interest of organising something, or the very least giving each other a shout - or a subtle but reserved tip of the head - next time there is some con or event going on. Anyone?

If not, that's fine too. Just postulating.

2. Anti Social Andy

Anti Social Andy Die-Cast

Call out to UK 'brainers
    I moved to the middle of nowhere to avoid people and minimise my interaction with 'em . . . 'nuff said!

bunnyboy and The Moog like this.
  3. stklbck

stklbck Fresh Meat

Name:
    Sam
    Instagram:
    stklbck
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Im in London/south east and was considering maybe throwing a show like badteeth did in oz to bring some people out of the wood work... I'll be at toycon which is pretty much the only con we got this side of the pond (let me know if there are any others!)

I know a few toy people but be good to meet more SB dudes, shout me up...
    ... But not you Andy.

4. moodydoom

moodydoom Addicted

flickr:
    themoodydoom
    Instagram:
    moodydoom
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    i'm not British, but we were colonized to the point of school uniforms, regular canings with cricket bats and mince pies for dinner. That qualify me for the group hug?

I might be at the next toycon, happy to meet any washed brainers.

Speaking of London, I haven't been back in years. My usual haunts were covent garden, soho and brick lane. Any cool current stores i should know of? (western or eastern vinyl, books, design etc.)

From what i remember there were a few skate shops that carried some vinyl odds and ends (in Soho and brick lane i think) and then of course forbidden planet.

5. ultrakaiju

Call out to UK 'brainers
    Does anyone know anything about The Hang Gang? I just learned about them through the Gargamel thread. Supposedly they might have new releases of toys, but nothing per their website or FB page or blog seems to be updated all that much (little since 2014 even). I'd be interested if anyone has had dealings with them (or is associated with it, for that matter) and if they have a brick and mortar shop. There is a location listed as being in Leeds, but I have no idea if this is anything (Google maps doesn't seem to point towards much there).

6. stklbck

stklbck Fresh Meat

Name:
    Sam
    Instagram:
    stklbck
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Never been to the store, but its run by a really nice dude (Ben i think hes called..) I got figs and lucky bags from them before and have met him at shows and he has a booth at toycon (with a nice 'SALE' box for a shifty thru). He is on SB too i think. the website doesnt update too often but the store does get new stuff in now and again.

So you in the UK now? for how long? ill come try and sell you Joes over a light ale!

7. FuriousPurpose

FuriousPurpose Fresh Meat

Name:
    Mark
    flickr:
    SleeperService
    Instagram:
    FuriousPurpose
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Got my timing wrong, should have joined SB before ToyCon! 'cos I was there, drooling over some nice stuff the Hang Gang had, also impressed as usual by Unbox who have a good mix including some great Kaiju/Sofubi influenced stuff being produced by them, and plenty of others too.
    Ben, the HangGang guy is one of the organisers of ToyCon, and he was telling me that the reason he doesn't get time to update the HG website and post up some of the toys is just that, time! He has another job too, pretty easy to see why selling toys is not a particularly stable income, so updates to the site, prepping all the images etc. needs to be done in his spare time.

8. Zombiekel

Zombiekel Toy Prince

Name:
    Andy
    Instagram:
    zombiekel
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Hi guys
    I'm in Cardiff but work 2-3 days a week in London.
    ps. Barry owns The Hang Gang, Ben, Barry & Blair own/run ToyCon UK ;)
    Andy

9. andyspurs85

andyspurs85 Fresh Meat

Name:
    Andrew
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Hey guys,

I'm based in London.

Great idea to try and put something together aimed at UK based collectors!

10. thefauxbot

thefauxbot Addicted

Name:
    Ben
    flickr:
    92654930N03
    Instagram:
    drwgco
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Is everyone here aware of the Creepshow event that Secretdemonservices is putting on? Admittedly, I'm a bit more invested because I have some toys at that show: but there's plenty of 'big names' there...
    Be sure not to miss it if you're anywhere near Leeds

[​IMG]

11. ultrakaiju

Call out to UK 'brainers
    Dang, gonna miss this one, but I might be back to the area in the near future. Nice to see some events take place outside of Japan/US. Now if only we could convince more Japanese artists and companies to take their shows on the road.

12. Anti Social Andy

Anti Social Andy Die-Cast

Call out to UK 'brainers
    Bummer . . . I have to perm my eyebrows and wax my knuckles that night!

13. GERMS

GERMS Line of Credit

Call out to UK 'brainers
    Damn, I really needed a mule. A pretty bare knuckled curly browed mule

bunnyboy likes this.
  14. plasticXO

plasticXO Comment King

Call out to UK 'brainers
    Too bad Leeds is so up North...

15. ultrakaiju

Call out to UK 'brainers
    So is anyone heading out to Toycon this weekend? There didn't seem all that much there that piqued my interest to be honest, mostly western style toyz and nufoobi, (but what do I know?) so I can't see myself making the trip.

It would be nice to meet up with some other SBers [maybe] at some point, misanthrope that I am. I know that there used to be a London Skullbrainers discussion a while back, but not sure any of those folks are still active on here. So outside of Andy, Joe, and Ian, no long-time residents of the board immediately come to mind. @thefauxbot are you still in South Wales?

16. Bob

Bob Toy Prince

Name:
    Bob
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Wish I was going to toycon but couldn't get flights/hotel that worked.

Any other Scots on here or am I the furthest north?

17. thefauxbot

thefauxbot Addicted

Name:
    Ben
    flickr:
    92654930N03
    Instagram:
    drwgco
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Ah mate, I am...but this is the first year I'm not going! Too much toy money already spent out! Will be going up to Leeds for this year's Creepshow though I should imagine!

18. kichigai

kichigai Removed by request

Call out to UK 'brainers
    There is one doll I really want
    that will be at the Uktoycon
    but no one I asked is going.

Some guy did a spectacular
    painted Target Earth Smogon 2Go

No idea who he is or the scoop
    but that doll looks really nice!

19. Super_Shogunator

Super_Shogunator Fresh Meat

Call out to UK 'brainers
    New UK-based member here. West of London. Cheers

Bob likes this.
  20. ultrakaiju

Call out to UK 'brainers
    I know I've put this out there a few times now, but why not a refresher. Seems most of the UK contingent is fairly spread out (while other of us - myself I mean - are just plain misanthropes). So, for lack of a logistical meetup or event, how about some general recommendations. I'm always open to hear some folks' opinions, even if I end up ignoring them altogether. ;)

Restaurants, places to check out, good tattoo shops, quality cinemas, random shops, anything really. Feel free to put it out there.

In terms of Cardiff*, I recommend the stretch of Castle & High Street Arcades: you've got a great secondhand bookshop in Troutmark, classic duds from Princes and Paupers, amazing bites from New York Deli, get yer mane lopped at Sleep When You're Dead, and there is now a great secondhand toy shop there too (not sure it has a name, but has taken over from one of the longtime fancy dress places; it is all a guy's personal collection basically). Man, I can't even tell you how much that small stretch has sucked out out of my wallet.

Also, feel free to throw out things to avoid, 'cause I know I've experienced plenty of those as well, and which things NOT to go to is probably a much better recommendation than a personal selection which we don't always agree on.

* With fully acknowledged fear of tipping away some possibly hidden gems only to see them blow up, these are places who have earned the shoutout

21. ultrakaiju

Call out to UK 'brainers
    One for the locals.

Disclaimer: despite how on point this might be with the inner conflict May might be facing, this is all a bed of her own doing and I hold no sympathies over the situation at this point.

Bob likes this.
  22. MisterYuck

MisterYuck Comment King

Name:
    Andy
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    I guess I'll post this here! I surprised my girlfriend this Christmas with a 5 day trip to London, including a ~30 hour layover in Rekyjavik, Iceland. Any Britons here care to enlighten me as to what we should look forward to on our trek in May? If any locals are around, maybe we could even meetup for a pint. Some kinda funky international toy congress!

ultrakaiju and doomboy like this.
  23. doomboy

doomboy Addicted

Call out to UK 'brainers
    I left London 10 years ago and a lot has changed but I can recommend the following for decent tourist biz;
    West London;Kew Gardens,Portobello Road Market...
    South London;Horniman Museum ,Nunhead Cemetery .
    North London; Hampstead Heath,Highgate Cemetery
    East London ;Brick Lane market ,Whitechapel Gallery ,VA Museum of Childhood
    Central London;Both Tate Galleries,British Museum,Natural History Museum....
    As for toy stuff there are no events apart from Toycon at the end of March (Sunguts is coming!!!)

ultrakaiju and MisterYuck like this.
  24. ultrakaiju

Call out to UK 'brainers
    Horniman is great, and properly quirky in its own right, if not quite a 'museum' as such, haha. I happened to visit by chance, and enjoyed it. The old Slyvan Post around the corner is a great place to lift a pint or cocktail as well. Not sure I would recommend a specific trip south for this, but anyone in the area anyways should check it out. The Crystal Palace dinos used to be pretty classic as well, but sadly have been 'done up' in more recent years, and last time I was there a good number were out for repairs.

MisterYuck likes this.
  25. MisterYuck

MisterYuck Comment King

Name:
    Andy
    Call out to UK 'brainers
    Thanks for the tips, fellas. I’ll be sure to look into those. I have a rough idea of where our trip will take us. I was thinking starting in London, heading out towards Bath and Stonehenge along the way then up to York, making our way back down to London for a flight home