Burning vintage questions

Discussion in 'Vintage Vinyl' started by akum6n, Jan 19, 2009.

1. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

So I've come across some questions concerning vintage vinyl toys that don't seem to have a ready answer. I think they're probably common knowledge among the older collectors...

1. Bullmark unpainted flesh vinyls. What was the story behind these, and which of the Marusan/Bullmark molds were sold unpainted? I've read through the info in the mook on these, but it only covers the Toho kaiju. I remember that Frank had an unpainted flesh Antlar that was supposedly an original, so I figure there are others beyond the mook lineup.

The mook also refers to these as 'master mold cleaning vinyls,' but I'm not sure what that means exactly. Were flesh blanks solely byproducts of the toy production process, or were they sold for other reasons (e.g., DIY toys)?

(Note: I'm asking specifically about the official releases, not the 1983 flesh bootlegs.)

2. 55Blue color. Gargamel adopted this color scheme (which they termed "55Blue") for the first release of the Zagoran- blue base vinyl with silver and red accents. Other companies have used it as well, e.g., Rumble Monsters, without giving it a specific name.

Is this color scheme supposed to reference the colors of the original Marusan Godzilla? They seem similar.

And why "55Blue"? Does this refer to the year 1955, or is it something else?

Sorry for the mess of questions- but I'm sure someone here has answers. Maybe we can use this thread as a 'general vintage Q&A'?

Lalo likes this.
  2. ElvisFromHell

ElvisFromHell Comment King

As to your first question, I was told by an American collector who bought some unpainted flesh colored kaiju from a trading partner in Japan back in the day when they were first released, that these were special "Christmas" releases - basically lucky bag figures released by Bullmark during Xmas. Personally, I've seen an unpainted flesh Gomora (non-Toho), a Mogera (Toho) and some other non-Toho figures that are slipping my mind right now.

Maybe this is where Bullmark first got the idea to use flesh colored vinyls as the base for its Hawaii releases? (or perhaps it was the opposite - leftover unpainted Hawaii versions were used as "lucky bag" give-aways around the Xmas). I'm sure someone on here has more authoritative knowledge about this.

3. brianflynn

brianflynn Post Pimp Staff Member

The flesh vinyls that you see are almost exclusively the 1983 bootlegs. They are made from the original molds, so they have the same markings, but are a very thin and cheap flesh vinyl. There are both Godzilla and Ultra flesh figures in standard and giant size, as well as a few random characters like Daimajin. They are a light flesh color. There is no rhyme or reason to which vinyls were made other than what was available at that time. Mogera is probably the easiest to find, and is very common. There are 30+ flesh 1983 vinyls.

The master mold flesh vinyls, are very rare. One large lot popped up a few years ago of about 10 vinyls, but other than that, they are essentially an anomaly, and almost non-existent. They are very thick vinyl, are a dark flesh color, usually the vinyl is embedded with dust, dirt, metal or other flakes that were in the mold when it was cleaned. They are very clearly 30+ years old, and are very different from the 1983 bootlegs if you see them in person. Chances are very good that you have not seen any of these, as most collectors do not have any of these, as they are not available.

There are flesh vinyls that were made and painted for a lot of the Hawaii edition vinyls and the entire Ultra Taro releases, but almost none of these are unpainted, but there may be a few, I can't say for sure. I have not seen any before. In an interview of the history of Bullmark, the founder says that they occasionally made flesh when they needed to make a quick run and they were out of the appropriate vinyl, but it was a very rare circumstance. If you look, these are almost always painted entirely covered in paint, and meant to look like a normal figure, although they sometime picked Marusan color schemes to match. It is my opinion that this is because they had a sample of vinyls at the office, but they were not always the latest version.

--

For the dark blue, it is the original Marusan 1st edition Ultra Q kaiju color, which are the first kaiju vinyls ever made. Dark blue (actually semi-translucent in the vintage figures) with silver spray.

Lalo, Alebrije and sensensempompom like this.
  4. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

Thanks for the informative posts, Brian and Elvis. I think that answers both of my questions- and more!

5. August

August Toy Prince

The first of the flesh-colored vinyls was the Giant King Ghidorah, which was sold (under the table) at a Tokusatsu Convention in Tokyo in 1981. One is owned by a prominent American fan and collector who lives in Chicago, who obtained it at the said event.

6. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

Another dumb question from me.

I've heard that Ark sold "reissues" of Bullmark Mirrorman figures, as well as assorted other Bullmark kaiju (Neronga, Gabora.. others?). Does anyone know which figures were reissued, and whether and how they differ from the originals? I can't seem to find much out there- especially photos.

Thanks again.

7. Roger

Roger Vintage

Name:
    Roger
    Instagram:
    rogzilla71
    Chad or Rob D. can weigh in, but Ark and/or Orange also made Captain Ultra vinyls like Garuban. I think the only physical differences are the stamps on the feet.

The way it's been explained to me, Ark and Orange were manufacturers that Bullmark used and/or set up. After Bullmark went out of business, their licenses were transferred to these other companies and they just continued cranking out toys.

TattooDougHardy likes this.
  8. brianflynn

The Space Giants figures by Orange (or Ark/Orange) are not really reissues, but more like a second edition, and are vintage. In all honesty, the Orange figures are superior in paint to the Bullmarks, but are worth a little less. In almost all of the cases the Bullmark and Orange figures are pretty inexpensive, so neither edition will set you back too much dough.

The Mirrorman kaiju that went into a second edition were made by Enterprise, not Orange. Some of the Enterprise editions are affordable, and some are crazy expensive. Generally the common bullmarks, have more expensive enterprise editions, but the expensive bullmarks have slightly more affordable enterprise bretheren. There is a magazine that did a full article on the mirrorman variants (I believe in the Garada-K7 edition of Hyper Hobby) a while back, I would have to go back and reference it for a 100% accurate answer, as there are a few oddball second and third editions.

9. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

Thanks Brian and Roger.

The "reissues" of the Ultra and Mirrorman kaiju that I read about must have actually been the (Tsubaraya) Enterprise versions, since I notice they also made a Gabora and Neronga.

My question was based on this translation by Matt Alt of the biography of Saburo Ishizuki:

"In addition, in response to a request from Tsubaraya Enterprises, Ark re-released several fondly-remembered Marusan/Bullmark vinyl toys, such as Neronga, Gabora, and kaiju from the Mirrorman series."

http://www.toyboxdx.com/infolibrary/translations/ishizuki.php

So it sounds like these were a collaborative effort (like the Orange vinyls)?

10. brianflynn

yeah, it is all the same family of companies.

11. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

Thanks again. Ok, this all makes sense to me now... sort of. ;P

12. Mark K

Mark K Addicted

Here's one I've been pondering for some time: I thought Marusan was the only company to release a Namegon yet Bullmark catalogs and advertizing posters up to around 1973 show a Namegon available. Did Bullmark actually produce a Namegon?

13. brianflynn

I have never heard of a Bullmark version. Since Bullmark went under in 1974/5, it is fairly easy to assume they might have planned to make it, but did not ever get to that point, and it was in the catalog only.

14. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

Ok, I have another Ark/Orange/EP question... if I may impose on you folks once again.

Around when were those companies active? Club Tokyo has 1982 as the production year for Ark's Garuban, but I've seen a magazine ad from 1978 with the Ark/Orange (no EP) lineup. Just curious.

Grania says, "Thanks in advance!"

[​IMG]

15. KaijuHoarder

KaijuHoarder Toy Prince

which taro figures were done in flesh?

16. KaijuHoarder

KaijuHoarder Toy Prince

I believe there was also an an antler. all 3(maybe more) have really cool paint jobs.

I always was confused between arc and enterprise. i can swear i have seen some mirrorman issues with an ark stamp, but can not recall which ones.

17. KaijuHoarder

KaijuHoarder Toy Prince

I think this was the short lived toy life magazine. I believe it was the one with the jumbo article. they also pictured several sample shots of mirrorman kaiju. thanks again for the mag jim.

18. KaijuHoarder

KaijuHoarder Toy Prince

Just the marusan version. What is the official count for marusan variations? Just the original blue one?

Has anyone ever seen a mechani kong with a marusan stamp? Always heard rumors that it fit in the same time period as the gabara and minya.

19. KaijuHoarder

KaijuHoarder Toy Prince

Never was exactly sure about the date. it comes from a translation of a japanese toy website. probably the best all around vintage toy website out there.

20. kaiwi

kaiwi Addicted

I think he meant Ultraman Leo.

21. brianflynn

Yes, I meant the Leo series of figures. Good catch kaiwi.

22. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    While you're on a roll

Brian, what's the meaning of life?

23. joshuajh

joshuajh Administrator Staff Member

hawaii vinyls?

24. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    [​IMG]

25. vintagevinyl

vintagevinyl Line of Credit

if the meaning of life is hawaii vinyls, then brians life has been EXTREMELY well lately.