Killer J Sarumon

Discussion in 'Japan Toys' started by Joe, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Killer J Sarumon
    You cannot appreciate this sculpt until you hold one in your hand.
    I knew the cronic version was coming for the past month, so that was no surprise. I can appreciate the multiple releases: something for everyone.

2. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Post Pimp

Killer J Sarumon
    I have to admit that for my first one I'd almost like one painted in earth tones like the Marusan. That or the Beetleman-tribute looking custom by Rich. In fact, I'm going to throw it out there... I want that orange limbed Rich custom.

3. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

Killer J Sarumon
    I don't mind the sculpt, I just don't appreciate the transparent and possibly manipulative marketing. That's what turned me off the Saruman before I picked one up.

This looks like a mad rush to release countless colour versions asap while the toy's still hot. That along with the similarities mentioned earlier in the thread by others, makes this line seem a bit too manipulative.

4. ribbon controller

ribbon controller S7 Royalty

flickr:
    ribboncontroller
    Instagram:
    slavexone
    Killer J Sarumon
    ^^^agreed

5. mikimaus

mikimaus Toy Prince

Killer J Sarumon
    too many too often™ model kills the hobby

6. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Killer J Sarumon
    I, too, am a little confused.

If I may ask, how does "too many too often" kill the hobby?

Is it that the vast majority of collectors on this board are completists and thus need one of every colorway that comes out? And if too many colorways come out too quickly, it's just too burdensome on the wallet?

Or is it that if there are too many colorways out there, the "perceived value" (i.e., "hotness") of the figure goes down?

Or is it something else I'm not getting?

7. silver_lining_man

silver_lining_man Mini Boss

Name:
    Josh
    Instagram:
    toyboxranger
    Killer J Sarumon
    i think this is more of a nuisance to completists.
    if i want a clear pink version of a sculpt, i don't want to wait 6 months to a year just because a clear blue one was released recently....

8. kidclam

kidclam Mini Boss

Killer J Sarumon
    if one is possibly collecting new toy line, you would want to purchase one to fully appreciate it with some time before the next release?

9. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

Killer J Sarumon
    Nah. Its kind of insulting to be targeted as a "Mark", especially since this isn't a strip club.

10. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Post Pimp

Killer J Sarumon
    Somehow I doubt his intention is to nail all the suckers with a toy... rather it seems like he's just trying to offer something for everyone. It's been said in a couple threads recently: Why is offering more toys for more people to buy and enjoy a bad thing?

11. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

Killer J Sarumon
    If you still believe this after you've done a thorough search of old SB threads you probably didn't really do a thorough search.

Its not necessarily naive to like the sculpt and not care if demographics were targeted. On the other hand there are certain patterns here.

12. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Post Pimp

Killer J Sarumon
    Were those demographics 'toy collectors'? ;)

13. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

Killer J Sarumon
    I'd call the targets "suckers" but you can call them "a rose".

14. kidclam

kidclam Mini Boss

Killer J Sarumon
    it would be nice to say that releasing so many is one way of patting the back of the artist as being "productive"
    however it's really only been about working with collaborations... leaning on other artists to help so far. so nay to being "productive". i can't help to think that KJ is trying to milk the market to get as much cash in the least amount of time - i can understand that the cost of production is high and why it would motivate the artist to make full use of the sculpt to get ptrofits back. have you noticed that there are too many varieties for each and every release. no wonder collectors can't help feeling the "manipulating" going on. theres around 15-20 different types out there already including HP?

15. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

Killer J Sarumon
    The sheer number of releases on a single 10" sculpt has been unusual. Even fight figures aren't milked like this.

I'm not saying those who like and collect the Sarumon are suckers as long as they collect out of enjoyment as opposed to being influenced by any perceived scarcity or marketing strategy. That hot stripper probably doesn't really like you ...

16. silver_lining_man

silver_lining_man Mini Boss

Name:
    Josh
    Instagram:
    toyboxranger
    Killer J Sarumon
    the "milking the consumer" speculation is supported by the way the GT sarumon's were released (and possibly the cronic, but i don't know anything about that release other than the pictures i've seen), giving the buyer the option of buying all 3, making them 3 seperate releases, instead of lucky bagging it (which is the way i would have prefered, that was what i always enjoyed about kj's smoking star releases).

17. kidclam

kidclam Mini Boss

Killer J Sarumon
    wait for the ny lucky bags then

18. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

Killer J Sarumon
    Naoki/Cronic deserves a shout out for abandoning most of his fans, except those on his list paying $350- $450+ per Zyurai or Mav, yet finding time to do this collaboration.

19. kidclam

kidclam Mini Boss

Killer J Sarumon
    That's a great idea, I never knew there was a list. I guess his work goes beyond just painting the figure which will appeal to more people.

20. Krudler

Krudler Comment King

Killer J Sarumon
    Whether abandoning his fans who aren't on his favourites list was a great idea is debatable. He makes a mint off a small group who are listed but he definitely lost fans as well.

Who collects Cronic anymore? People on the list and that's about it. Plus they're paying aprroximately $400 per new toy.

21. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Killer J Sarumon
    Talk about "locking in" your target market!

Seems like most companies are definitely trying to cash in by putting out version after version of a sculpt out anymore. There is no wonder or excitement anymore with me. I know as soon as something is released within a month another version will be out. Once it a blue moon something new appeals to me, but for the most part I try to find the few older things on my want list and ignore new. Besides any version worth getting seems to be lottery based.......

22. atease

atease Super Deformed

Killer J Sarumon
    I'm happy I bought a $10 of the original in Japan rather than a ripoff with 900 color options in two months.

yawn

23. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Killer J Sarumon
    Thanks for the clarification, guys. I guess it's still a variation of the "hype argument". Instead of hype-obsessed fans feeling snubbed by multiple colorways in rapid succession (driving down the R@R3N3$$ of the figure), it's other folks feeling insulted by the toy maker trying to take advantage of the former group.

That's clearly a different argument than the pissed-off-completists one.

But I still don't know. I don't necessarily see this as a toy maker trying to take advantage of the hype. Nag Nag Nag? Now THAT'S hype-mongering. This? Well, while I don't care for the toy, I still don't think that simply releasing a ton of them early on necessarily equates to taking advantage of the market...

24. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Name:
    RockStrongo
    Killer J Sarumon
    I like the toy.
    I don't like the "marketing" that SEEMS to be behind it.
    I've heard some unsavory things, but until I know 100%, I've just HEARD things. Though I don't totally doubt them.
    I have 1. I might get 1 more someday, but I'm good with 1. Not limiting myself to 1 because I disapprove of the questonable marketing procedures, but because I don't like any others out there yet.
    I still want the repro or the original, such a cool sculpt.

25. kidclam

kidclam Mini Boss

Killer J Sarumon
    I think KJ strategy of releasing so many in such a short time is a reaction to survival mode based on the current state of the market. Everyone has to pay the bills and who doesn't want to profit from creating your own work? Artists need to survive. However that will unsurprisingly get collectors anxious and lean towards not supporting it as openly as other toys.

In that regard, I have been quite vocal about RxH reissues..and my emotional outburst as a reflex action is probably uncalled for in hindsight. I apologize for this... I will respect Mori's wishes on what he wants/wishes to release since it is a business at the end of the day.

I learnt that not getting too close to the issues makes the collecting more fun.
    So please sell/trade me your rare RxH that you don't want..haha 8)

edit: the OG sculpt is cute and also the vinyl is quite thin/light. the joints are loose on the one my wife has and it really stands out in the collection.