This one's for hypermook...GLOW-topia!

Discussion in 'Show Your Collection' started by Sanjeev, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Wasn't me Sanjeev. I believe pickeloaf did that custom. I can't stop coming back here to look at those pics. They helped me with toy withdraw (I was on vacation till yesterday)

2. hillsy11

hillsy11 Post Pimp

I said it before, and I'll say it again...that giant glow Ultraman is top shelf! And did you fill that S7 MechaGoji entirely with glow gravel?!?! You must have a truckload in the backyard...

3. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Nah, man, I grow it in the basement. Grow that shit, roll that shit, light that shit...and smoke it!

For real, though, that M1 giant Ultraman is pretty killer. Took a while to convince my girl it was a dude, not a chick, though. I mean, the toy kicks much ass...but his proportions are a tad feminine!

Oh, but back to the S7 giant MG...there are other plans in the future for that guy. Yes, he's stuffed to the gills with glow gravel (thing must weigh, like, 5 pounds!)...for now...

4. Nate

Nate Line of Credit

Name:
    NateORMaddie
    Sanjeev What figure, (yellow monster), is that next to the Coral Sea Galtan?

I love how he looks!

~Maddie

5. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    B-Club Bemler

6. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Nate, this isn't a personal shot at you, but I find it histerical that you recognized with NO problem a western artist's limited hand-paint of a small designer toy maker's figure of an amazingly obscure patchi-kaiju...and yet, you didn't recognize a seminal figure sculpt by the greatest vinyl manufacturer of all time of an extremely popular (worldwide) kaiju character from a classic, well-loved, decades-old children's show.

Again, this is not an attack on you...but is this really the state of the board? Have we become that inbred?

7. Gareth Infinity

Gareth Infinity Addicted

Name:
    John
    I've been refraining from even commenting on this because there's just SO MUCH GOOD STUFF.

For starters...

-I still need that M1 BEAMS Hedorah

-I dig those Yamomark Kaijin minis...I just got the other set ("Set B") in today, love 'em! May have to try and grab Set A as well before they're all gone.

-Glyos treatment on the arms of that Boogie looks like it worked out nicely.

-I will always love that giant Hedorah, ALWAYS. (the one on the left. but the other's not bad either)

-I'd love to have those King Joes, think I prefer the one next to Mogera.

-I used to know, but it's escaping me at the moment; what is the name of the tall figure next to the metallic Chaos, with the blue-green spray? Same shelf as the pink spray Alien Inbas. I think I want one!

-Also, the robotic-looking figure with the silver and pink, next to the Onell Sky Deviler--what the hell is that?!

-I'm still considering parting with my Kingbee Zudon and trying to get that glow one; it's awesome. The mini is great too!

8. Nate

Nate Line of Credit

Name:
    NateORMaddie
    First off that wasn't Nate posting. That was me, Maddie, and I tend to collect what I like and if a certain toy's grin makes me laugh then I like it. That's it. It's nothing complicated if it makes me smile I am happy. Also I didn't know what a Galtan was. I asked Nate, "What's that skull thing that looks like Kozik painted it?" and he informed me it was Galtan painted like those Real Head Coral Sea figures.

Technically we've only been collecting for a little over a year so our knowledge of Japanese/kaiju/sofubi is evolving and only time and more interaction/participation with the board will make us more knowledgeable.

As for the show that you are implying, (name please), I have probably never seen it or know as it as another name maybe. They didn't show much kaiju/monster shows when I was little. I recall a lot robot anime shows.

I don't particularly feel I should be ashamed for still liking and collecting Western vinyl. That genre opened up a whole hobby for us and we've met great friends who have taken us to this next level of our collecting evolution.

9. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    John, yeah, you need that M1 x BEAMS Hedo! Then again, I hear tell a new one's either just dropped or is coming mad soon. Keep your eyes out!

Yamomark mini's=gooder'n hell.

Yeah, shoving random Glyos bits into the arms of my KT X-Ray Boogie wasn't a bad experiment. Didn't come out quite as nice as I would have liked, but still not bad. But it's just ironic that they just announced some new Boogie that actually has a genuine glowie skeleton! Or at least, half of him does(?). Anyway, I still need to put some glow bits into his legs and feet. My girlfriend loves him, so it's all good!

Giant CCP battle-damaged Hedorah...one of my first true loves! ;)

That midsized King Joe is actually really tough to find these days. At least, *I* haven't seen one around for a WHILE. It's KaijuuKen, I believe. Very sweet. Ya can't really tell from a frontal shot, but they way the back is sculpted is really cool. Ya have to see it to get my meaning...

Ooh...the tall blue-green dude next to the metallic Chaos: that's "Monster X" from Godzilla: Final Wars, a great, utterly campy movie! I presume you haven't seen it, otherwise you'd recognize him. I won't spoil the movie--definitely check it out with some buddies and lots of junk food! Anyway, that toy's fairly rare these days, as well. There's a way-overpriced one on eBay right now, if I'm not mistaken...unless someone was foolish enough to buy it...

Ha! Ben already asked about the big dude next to the Onell Sky Deviler: That's Yutari's glow Zikiro. He was the first kaiju villain in Zone Fighter. I think they actually had *TWO* people in the suit. You can't really tell in the pic, but the tail extends pretty far back and actually has two mini legs touching the ground!

As for the glow Zudon, I'm not super-happy with it. I mean, it sure glows bright, but the colorway's pretty damn plain...like a giant, vaguely-green meatball... The mini, however, is pimp-dog-deluxe! Maybe we can trade???

My bad, Maddie...I wasn't aware of your alter ego! ;)

Anyway, like I said, what I was writing had nothing to do with you or your particular collecting habits. Keep collecting what you like...that's the most important thing. But it's not the only important thing. Researching what has come before is just as crucial as keeping an open mind and trying new stuff (not that you don't...again, this is a general statement about the state of affairs on this board these days).

Paul Budnitz's whole "nostalgia is death" thing can really and truly eat a fucking dick. That attitude drips with privilege...while he owes the entirety of his success to those who forged this genre of toys in the first fucking place...companies like Bullmark, Popy, Marusan, and the like...who actually made toys...y'know...for children. Standing on the shoulders of giants while claiming that his trash's popularity is somehow totally original is so ludicrous, it easily surpasses ignorance. It's arrogance. Fuck him.

But, hey, if someone likes his toys, more power to 'em. For someone to see positivity in all things is very Buddha-like, right?

All I'm suggesting is that people do their homework. At the end of the day, it's totally cool to dig what you dig...but not to know what's out there or where your own shit comes from is fucked.

By the way, that show is called Ultraman.

10. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    I got bored the other night and decided to take some glow shots of this...

I'm not really into "urban vinyls", which Secret Base's Dr. Mortality sure seems like, but a while back, I picked up the NYCC aqua-glow version for the hell of it. Well...not so much for the "hell of it"...really because it'd be the first *official* aqua glow toy I have. Then recently, I got the red-glow-cloak version for the same reason. Pull 'em apart, stick 'em back together (minus those DUMB jesus sandals), and you've got a dope multi-color glowie!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, it's seriously that fucking bright!

11. silent killer

silent killer Line of Credit

Name:
    Steve
    wow thats awesome!
    what a fantastic collection. while the pics are huge and it sortof takes away from the whole picture, its awesome to be able to see each toy in such detail!

12. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Post Pimp

HA! Posted in the wroooooong thread. :lol:

13. Robert DeCastro

Robert DeCastro Side Dealer

Name:
    Robert
    Instagram:
    AtomicMushroomToys
    Totally savage glow effect Sanjeev! I remembered you mentioning something about being in nuclear something, something. ;) Was gonna ask you where you got the glowie Getter Robo but KaijuZoo just answered it. :mrgreen:

14. silver_lining_man

silver_lining_man Mini Boss

Name:
    Josh
    Instagram:
    toyboxranger
    more gid then the eyes can handle.
    nice stuff sanjeev.

15. Yuck!!!

Yuck!!! Side Dealer

flickr:
    yucktoys
    Instagram:
    yucktoys
    I can't believe I am just now seeing these pics, I feel so behind the times. Awesome collection, nothing beats shelf after shelf of glow! I couple of these figures I hadn't seen before, thanks a lot for sharing with the board. I have been telling myself I need to get more giant sized figs, and your collection definitely reinforces that. Loving the trike/tank shelf too!

Questions:

1. The mini Minya between Rodan and Goji, that is a custom Y-MSF? Koji?
    2. The Goji next to the Minya is a Marmit release? I can't find it on CT, but looks like the Marmit 68/69 giant but standard sized.

16. BobDuher

BobDuher Addicted

Nice collection!

17. Vombie

Vombie Vintage

Name:
    g
    holy shit, Sanjeev.

full room shot!

haha--do you even have to turn the lights on in your house?

18. chottomatte

chottomatte Addicted

These photos are so great I had to resave on my computer to see them in their entirety :)

19. Crab Rangoon

Crab Rangoon Side Dealer

it is an excellent energy conservation technique :lol:

20. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Heh...didn't even realize people were replying to this thread... Anyway, thanks for the comments, guys...except for Ben. You suck. ;) And, yes, I've read comics to nothing but glow light before!

silent killer, in my original post, I posted a link to the TBDX brog, where there are normal-sized pics for folks not digging the full-size eyeball-meltdown. And, Robert, yeah, I'm have a nuclear engineering degree...but it has nothing to do with my childr--I mean--glowie toys... ;)

Yuck!!!, the giant-sized Popy/B-Club reissues of the classic Bullmarks are incredible. Solid, thick vinyl, great paint...DIRT-fucking cheap. You really can't go wrong. Good eye: first off, that's Gigabrain's Daisenso-Goji...at least, according to CT. My memory's a bit hazy with those movies and what the suits looked like in them... The Minya next to him is, in fact, the Y-MSF, but customized with glow spraypaint by ME!

21. Yuck!!!

Yuck!!! Side Dealer

flickr:
    yucktoys
    Instagram:
    yucktoys
    Thanks for the info, I didn't even think to look at Gigabrain for the Goji. I thought the Y-MSF Minya was bigger, I like it a lot more seeing it in scale. Your GID paint custom job is neato.

22. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    Yeah, Gigabrain put out some gorgeous Goji's last year or two...and in glow vinyl. They always confuse me, though, because they seem JUST LIKE figures Marmit would put out. Similar sculpts, similar colorways, same thick vinyl (especially the glow)...

I think I've asked on the board before if they're at all affiliated, but no one seemed to know...

And thanks for the comments on the GID custom. I like the spraypaint, but it's hellacious to control...and it leaves a bit of a rough texture (even after sealing with a clear coat). What's great is that it lets a good 90% of the original glow from the base glow vinyl through...AND adds its own subtle tint to the color!